Broccoli - Early Sprouting

• 1 Replies

ceeci

Broccoli - Early Sprouting
« on: June 22, 2010, 17:57 »
Hi

I'm a first year grower and we are using two raised beds in the garden. Everythings is growing very nicely indeed and I have not bought any lettuce for two months ;) We also grow chard, onions, tomatoes and courgettes that are now producing its first fruit :)

Anyhow, I had a packet of broccoli (not sure which type) and my broccoli is now showing flowers that are purple. They were sown in March and are growing very well. I'm just wondering if these were early sprouting broccoli or if there are other types of 'early' broccoli with purple flowers, as I thought they would not produce anything until next year...When should I pick these? Caterpillars have started appearing so we are just removing them by hand at the moment, but the plants are strong and growing well.

Thanks for any advice,

Cecilie

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Broccoli - Early Sprouting
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 18:35 »
The flower buds are the part of the broccoli that you eat, once the flowers have opened you can't eat them. Cut the flower heads off any that have opened and with luck they will regrow small florets and give you a picking in a few weeks.
Perhaps your 'early purple broccoli' has bolted or perhaps they were summer broccoli...without the name we'll never know :(

It's a good idea to keep a notebook with your varieties and a few notes in it. Then if you don't like a particular variety, you know to buy a different one next year...or vice versa  ;)

clip
Early purple sprouting broccoli

Started by Allotment 38a on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2021, 17:49
by Growster...
xx
Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 19:27
by Aidy
xx
Harvesting early purple sprouting broccoli

Started by Muddywaters on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 08:41
by AnneB
xx
Sprouting broccoli Extra Early Rudolph

Started by Fenland Girl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 21:44
by gobs

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 30 queries.