Rainbow chard

• 7 Replies

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
Rainbow chard
« on: May 27, 2010, 22:03 »
Ok....time for what may seem a basic question...... :)......my OH bought me some young rainbow chard plants last year.  They have survived the winter and all of a sudden have decided to put on a growth spurt, I've cut off the flower spikes they were trying to make but my question is..how do you cook rainbow chard?  They are making nice sized leaves and I think its time we tried some :)  I've mainly the green leaved type but have a couple of the dark red leaved ones too.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Rainbow chard
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 22:31 »
Cook them the same.  Remove the stalks and cook them for a little bit before adding the leaves.
Cheese makes everything better.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 22:45 »
Anything you'd do with spinach you can do with chard pretty much. As Ice says, you can treat the stalks like a separate vegetable and boil them for a bit like celery, shred the leaves and add to a pan with some chopped bacon & pinenuts, serve as they are, or you can layer them in a gratin dish with greek yogurt or bechamal sauce, cheese & breadcrumbs and finish in a hot oven, or you can make a soup with rocket, chard or spinach, courgette and/or leek.
Also nice lightly cooked, then layered with feta cheese and beaten egg or a poached egg on top, use them to pad out samosas, or a variation on bombay potatoes.....etc etc  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 23:07 »
You lot are inventive, I just tend to wilt them in a teeny drop of olive oil with chopped garlic s & p, I soften the stalks first if I am using the older leaves and stems.
Served with a squeeze of lemon over  :)

Spana

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:17 »
Once you have it cooked  - never add any water other than whats on the leaves from washing  - which is quite quick, give it a bit of a chop whilst still in the pan, add a bit of salt and black pepper and if you are allowed, a blob of butter :wub:
Once its at this stage you can freeze it for the winter and it freezes really well :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 13:39 »
I have yet to find a recipe that makes the stalks edible, the leaves however are scrummy, my fave way is to finely chop some shallot and garlic, gently fry in butter and add some chopped fresh toms until they dissolve, squirt of lemon juice and add the  roughly sliced chard to wilt, toss and serve, salt and black pepper to taste.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 23:31 »
Hi, thanks for all your replies, they all sound gorgeous :D  I'm going to have to try some and hope my plants get bigger :D  (like the idea of trying to freeze some too)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 03:31 »
I prefer chard in certain soups that I freeze. It holds up much nicer than spinach which tends to go slimey after freezing and reheating.

xx
rainbow chard

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 12:05
by Heather_S
xx
Swiss Chard

Started by jennyb on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 17:11
by Ice
xx
chard recipes

Started by Steveharford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 07:34
by rowan57
xx
Ruby Chard

Started by nitiram on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2005, 06:37
by nitiram

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 35 queries.