Stocking the trading shed

• 4 Replies

tangledfoot

Stocking the trading shed
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:03 »
Hi
Im the new trading co-ordinator from Higham Hill Common Allotments in Walthamstow, East London. We what to reopen our trading shed after a it was closed a couple of years ago........its a long story - Ill not go it to it here - But....

Where to start. well we are getting a stock list together, compost, fertilizers, canes, seeds etc, but we don't have a list of suppliers. Ok we can probable sort out the seed side of things and have spoken to Kings and Seeds of Italy (Franchi). But what of the rest. Particularly things like Blood Fish and Bone, Gromore, potash, - these things we would like to sell loss - by the kilo from big barrels or sacks.

Can anyone suggest suppliers for the above and generally suppliers that have a good relationship with allotment associations.

It seems to me that it would be a very useful national resource if this site could post recommended suppliers for allotment trading sheds.

Finally, are there any trading managers out there that would like to advice me on setting up the shed. The pitfalls etc. Or any websites I should look at?

Basically any advice at all would be grate.

Will Perry

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Stocking the trading shed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:44 »
Hi Will and welcome to the site  :D

Good luck with your trading shed, it's a fabulous resource once up and running.  I don't manage our shed but help out with the sessions.

We use Codnor for our bulk orders, including things like seeds - they offer most of the Mr Fothergills vegetable range, and also I think another company on the same terms but they only have a web catalogue whereas people can browse Mr F's catalogue in the hut or take a copy away in order to place an order.

On browsing our association blog (see my www icon) I also note that we're exploring using Acorn supplies in Bingley W Yorks.

Other lotty associations use Kings seeds.

Make sure you buy in bulk if possible to maximise reductions.

We stock canes, slug pellets (controversial), glyphosate, full range of fertilisers, seed spuds both to order and ad hoc, onion and shallot sets, a limited range of pea / bean / broad bean seeds at appropriate times.  Also fleece and weed protection, which I think we got in 100m rolls of t'interweb.

We also order in manure from a local supplier - aminopyralid free - and ask members to pay per barrowload.

We have seasonal advice available - copy of John's books and the monthly growing guides from here.

Pitfalls - over-ordering on things which date (e.g. some pesticides which are withdrawn, or seeds which won't keep).  We've stopped stocking too many packets of seeds as the shed is a little damp and they weren't selling.  This is a really difficult balance to achieve as you want to order sufficient for discounts yet not so much as to have to write off stock.  It will probably take a couple of years to get a feel for your throughput.  Perhaps get people to place orders as much as possible?

We have our shed insured under a trading policy - it's a difficult one but we decided that as it's a wooden shed the risk was too great. 

Another thing to consider is whether you want to offer any subsidiary services - this will probably depend on whether you have an association or just the trading shed.  We have joined the RHS Affiliated scheme, which offers the gardening advice line, access to reasonably priced insurance policies for events etc, and you can buy a card for £10 which gives free access to all RHS sites for two people.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:05 »
Hi Tangledfoot, welcome to the forum.  I was born in Walthamstow and lived on Priors Croft until I was 5 (about 35 years ago!) but still have family nearby in Chingford.  Good luck with the hut, the only advice I can give is as a customer of one.  I love going down to our local hut and getting garlic, blood fish and bone and am really looking forward to the potatoes coming in in January.  Opening membership up to other local allotments/gardeners can work well as we don't have one on our site but I am joined to one near by.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 17:55 »
Things that sell really well in our shed are:

Growmore, Blood/Fish/Bone, Perlite, Vermiculite, Tomato fertiliser (can't think of the brand at the moment but we get one that we dispense into 1 litre washed out milk cartons that comes out cheaper than the branded ones and works well), 6X, organic chicken pellets, Growganic, calcified seaweed. Oh and sulpher candles and slug pellets in large sizes.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 20:13 »
Hi TF, I'm the treasurer of Markhouse Common allotments (off Queens Rd). We have a small trading shed and have found the people at Oliver Rd allotments to be very helpful to us when we were starting out. They order stuff for us and other sites - like seed spuds, onions etc. They get free delivery on big orders. Also we get stuff from Horticulture Supplies Ltd -  like fertiliser, compost, canes etc. They have quite good prices.
Sometimes we buy stuff from pound shops though and add a few p on.
Also Ken at the council can be helpful - he can sort out manure and compost.
PM me if you want more info, and good luck.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Trading hut seed stock

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 16:49
by Christine
xx
Shed

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 11:10
by gregmcalister
xx
Who's shed is it?

Started by carol2711 on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 10:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
New Shed....what do you think

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 09:16
by mikem

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 32 queries.