Worm tea

• 8 Replies

sclarke624

Worm tea
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:30 »
I have a wormery since about March.  I thought you could drain off the liquid, dilute and use on your plants.  I have just read that you shouldn't do this as it may be acidic, well I think thats what it meant, I'm not sure.  I think its saying the liquid in the bottom of the bin with the tap on is when the bin is too wet which causes anaerobic conditions (which I believe means no air i.e. the water makes less air in the bin).  Reading it again it says it definately shouldn't be used.  Which is a bit annoying as thats more what I bought it for than the small amount of compost it makes.
I read you can suspend some of the compost made in water to make a tea for plants.

So question is, in a nutshell or should I say plasticbin shell:
Can I use the brown slightly smelly liquid that drains off the wormery, watered down as plant food.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Goosegirl

Re: Worm tea
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 17:17 »
I always thought it is used as well as the worm compost that is made. I would say that if the bin is healthy then any liquid produced is as a by product of worm digestion and can be used. I assume they need pockets of air so it is not really anaerobic - if it was, I  would guess the worms would die. I believe you should keep it on the wet side rather than let it dry out and can add seaweed meal occasionally to keep it sweet which, if so, is alkaline so a correct balance will be achieved. Have a look at the Wiggly Wormers web site which may help or on Google plus see what others on here say.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 18:39 »
Seaweed meal sounds interesting I live down the road from the sea, I could do some of my own, although fresh might be smelly. As no one was forthcoming with an answer, until you, I did have a look around google and it seems to contradict the book on many sites.  So I am going to use the liquid diluted of course.  Couldn't find info on the liquid on wiggly wigglers.  Except in the reviews people seem to use the liquid from the tap.

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 20:25 »
we wormers all use the juice from the worms diluted to feed plants thats all a wormery is good for the compost you get is very little and not often  so use the juiceits very good and smelly as well.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 20:52 »
the quality of worm tea depends on what you feed your worms but, diluted properly, it's all good!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Ropster

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 22:19 »
yes definatly use the liquid, but remember to dilute it 10 to 1 water to liquid or it is too strong

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 00:12 »
Thanks

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55 »
I have had my wormery for a few years now and i have used the "tea" since i got it with no problems.

I turn my compost weekly or forntnightly to ensure it doesnt get too horrible my wormery doesn't really smell to be honest only a kind of earthy smell.

Do you add paper to yours?

sclarke624

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 13:47 »
Yeah I add paper.  It isn't worringly smelly.  But when I first got it there was no liquid for ages, then about a 1 litre bottle full and then the following week we were surprised to find aobut 4 litres in liquid.  So may have drown my worms.  We are waiting for some more just in case.

xx
is this a nice worm or nasty worm?

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 21:44
by iwantanallotment
xx
Worm wee.....

Started by brendabel18 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 17:39
by peterag
xx
mr + mrs worm.

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 15:44
by celtbhoy
xx
Worm juice

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 22:12
by Baldy

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 36 queries.