Carrot Question

• 22 Replies

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« on: June 09, 2006, 13:48 »
I planted some carrots a few weeks back.  Being in Aberdeen it was a week or two after when it said to on the pack.  

They don't seem to have come up.  :shock:  Is it too late to plant more?

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
Carrot Question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 14:21 »
Wait a bit longer for the carrots to come through. Everything is taking ages to grow this year.

Greeny

Carrot Question
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 20:37 »
my carrots were slow, they took about 8-10 days to show and are growing quite slowly. When I thinned them out yesterday the tops were about 2 inches and there was equally ggod growth below the soil. Someone else I know has tops of over 5 inches but no bottoms. He hasn't really watered his but I have (every 2-3 days in this recent hot weather) - don't really know if this is a good thing?

noshed

Carrot Question
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 23:15 »
i've got two carrots - and that's in the soft south. I've planted some more...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

olde9856

Carrot Question
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49 »
Ive had problems with germination, planted 4 rows and have 2 carrots!! Im going to sow some more today after the rain has passed and see if they are any better

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 09:31 »
Mine took weeks to come up, but I waited and now have a couple of dozen. Be careful of carrot fly after thinning out; apparently the disturbance transmits the carrot scent and attracts them. :shock:

Dawn in the North

Carrot Question
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 23:01 »
Hi basketcase,

I have just planted some Early Nantes 5 carrots on Sunday, with the weather just now I can't see a problem.  The back of the packet also said with this variety you could plant up until July, I think.

What allotment are you on in Aberdeen?

Regards

Dawn
Dawn in the North
Aberdeen

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 13:54 »
Hi Dawn!

I'm on the Garthdee allotments - opposite the Norwood Hall Hotel.  Where are you?

Elizabeth

Dawn in the North

Carrot Question
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 23:03 »
Hi basketcase,

I am on the Niggfield allotments - near where Shell is, just off Wellington Road.

Good Luck with your carrots!

Regards

Dawn

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 13:43 »
Thanks Dawn.  Don't get over Nigg way often, but if I ever manage to grow too much of anything (ho ho) maybe I could send some your way!

As for the carrots, well something's growing anyway.  Now all I have to do is find out what it is!! :lol:

I got lettuce!  :D

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 14:12 »
Germination has been a real problem for my lottie neighbours, some are trying carrot and parsnip for the third time. I have just sown Flakkee carrot in modules to try and give them a head start - the first time I've tried this, but my chums recommended it so here we go!

startiger

Carrot Question
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 16:18 »
Carrot & parsnip - no sign yet, have sown 3 lots of carrots, the first row I covered with enviromesh!! [big problem with carrot fly last year] can count 8 carrots :shock:  2nd row noting yet, 3rd row too soon to comment. Parnsnips - 1st row 10 showing 2nd row nothing yet.

Has anyone who may have carrot fly problem grown carrots in tubs? any success?
Never too old to learn

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 17:02 »
Hi startiger

We don't seem to have much of a problem up here with carrot fly but my mum (in London) did.  She has had some success with carrots in tubs though - apparently this places the crop above the normal flight path of the carrot fly, so they are less likely to be attacked.

I planted my carrots inbetween rows of garlic - I read somewhere that the smell of the garlic confuses the fly (which is usually attracted by the carroty smell)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Carrot Question
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 21:59 »
Last yer I grew some garlic in between my carrots and no fly problems.  Also this year I did try growing some in a big pot starting off in the greenhouse to get earlier carrots!  We've nearly eaten them and again no problems.

Main crop and beginning to grow, but I'm going to cover them with enviromesh to be on the safe side!!!

basketcase

• Experienced Member
Carrot Question
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 13:33 »
I do believe in carrots, I do believe in carrots...

Haven't managed to get down to the plot very often this last week due to nasty brochial-type cough.  However, went on Saturday and, buried amongst the weeds, were actual carrots - probably about 30 plants approx 2-3" high.  Hooray!

Thanks for the help and info.  Shall probably plant some more anyway.  Have a daughter going to University in September and don't want her to starve...

xx
A carrot question

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 21:34
by Ivor Backache
xx
Carrot question

Started by Biddy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 18:54
by DD.
xx
Carrot question.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 00:11
by sarajane
xx
A carrot question

Started by prikay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 18:57
by prikay

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 35 queries.