Clearing the plot - what to do with those weeds?

• 23 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Clearing the plot - what to do with those weeds?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:05 »
I assume I still need to follow the brown layer / green layer rule when I chuck the grass into the compost?

Unless you want to try to learn the art of compost making at the same time as starting the plot I would just chuck everything in the compost bin, and learn the art later.  I learnt the art many decades ago ... I gave it up several decades ago, not enough time / energy / inclination to do it right, so I've reverted to the chuck-pile composting method.  Not a recommendation, as such, but "it will do".

Green Finger

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 12:46 »
Thank you all once again! I understand that by Dalek we mean one of those compost bins? Sorry not a Dr Who fan, I had to google this one :) I plan on getting two of them for starters and one of those screw paddle things to turn, that should keep me going, shouldn't it?

One more question if I may - there is some stuff on the old compost pile but I have no idea how long it's been sitting there... Shall I just mix it with the new stuff or should it be good to use straight away?

ptarmigan

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 12:54 »
If the stuff you have looks brown and crumbly and like compost - then use away - your plot could probably do with it.  You might have to pick a few larger bits and put back for a re-cook but that'll start your new compost pile off.

If it still looks like stuff waiting to be compost then use it as a starter for the new piles.  A stir up will get it going.

I don't use a dalek on the plot as it would blow away, just pallets roughly joined to make a 3 sided container (there's lots of images if you google.  And a couple of old big builders bags when I've got an overflow.

Green Finger

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 13:02 »
Thanks again!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 14:07 »
I plan on getting two of them for starters

Check if your Council is subsidising them at present. I got two (max limit per household) from my Council at reduced price

and one of those screw paddle things to turn

Not sure you need one ... seems like added expense to me, at the outset.

I suggest you try:

Once the Dalek is full lift it off. Its cone shaped, wider at the bottom, so should be possible to lift it off

Then mix the contents (particularly outside material which won't have rotted well with inside material which is likely to be hotter and more rotted) and then shovel it back into the Dalek.

Green Finger

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 15:32 »
It's a great tip with the Council bins, somebody actually has mentioned to me today. I'm in the lucky position though where I can get them at the same price as the 'subsidised' Council price (from what I can tell it's not really subsidised, it's just sold at 0% profit) delivered at my convenience, so I'll get them in on Saturday and start breaking my back on the plot :)

Headgardener22

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 17:17 »
Thank you all once again! I understand that by Dalek we mean one of those compost bins? Sorry not a Dr Who fan, I had to google this one :) I plan on getting two of them for starters and one of those screw paddle things to turn, that should keep me going, shouldn't it?

One more question if I may - there is some stuff on the old compost pile but I have no idea how long it's been sitting there... Shall I just mix it with the new stuff or should it be good to use straight away?

I usually take the top layer off the compost and put it into the bottom of the new heap.

3759allen

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 18:38 »
i know most people don't share my view but i just take all my weeds and grass to the tip. i don't want to take the risk of missing a nasty weed/ grass and spend time and money trying to get id of it.

i do have a healthy supply of manure and leaves, and all my waste from the crops will go into my daleks (fill 2 per year).

i also just pull the dalek off when it's mostly rotted and turn it into another one. i have 4 daleks in total, these give me 2 full of ready to use compost every year.

Green Finger

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 22:01 »
Thank you all once again - I can't remember the last time I had so many useful advices and friendly responses in such short time !  :D

xx
What do you do after clearing a plot of weeds when it's the end of May?

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2018, 12:44
by DHM
xx
clearing weeds before winter?

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 19:58
by Yorkie
xx
clearing weeds advice?

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 13:24
by snow white
xx
Clearing new plot

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 08:56
by cAnAry53

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 31 queries.