Fertilising/feedling part way through the growing season

• 4 Replies

snipsnip

Hi!

Had a look, but this seems to be an odd (!) question, I can't find an answer...

Anyway, we got our allotment in December, and I had a baby in January. We managed to dig everything over and rid it of perennial weeds, but didn't have time to dig in manure as I wanted.

We went ahead with planting anyway, and have a good selection of fruit bushes, brassicas, gourds, legumes and potatoes growing.

My question is, can I improve the soil quality after planting, or is it too late for me to do it this year?

Any suggestions are welcomed, I'm new to this and  have no clue!

Thank you! :D :wub: :tongue2:

snowdrops

Re: Fertilising/feedling part way through the growing season
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:33 »
You could give most things a feed now with chicken manure pellets,blood fish & bone or various non organic feeds. If you're plot hadn't been grown on for a few years & everything is growing well it will most likely be fine for this year. If you have the room order your manure early then you can stack it ready to add when there's a space.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Robster

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:40 »
Snipsnip, congratulations on the birth of your baby.

Congratulations too on getting your allotment and getting some stuff in.

If it were me I'd try and have a good growing year this year and use blood fish and bone and Crowmore to keep the crops fed.  If I had some materials for mulching I'd use that, otherwise I'd not worry too much this year.  Improving the soil is a long term process manuring, green manure, compost, rotation all the things you read about.  So starting immediately is not really so urgent.  When you have some bare ground in the autumn and winter then you'll have a clear run to enact a plan.

Enjoy

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 14:21 »
Hello snipsnip and welcome to this wonderful site! Like Robster says, as things seem to be growing ok, then just give them a feed to keep them going, then you can add manure, compost, or whatever is available, to improve the soil texture for next year. Can I suggest getting John's book (see link on here somewhere) on allotment growing as it is very informative, especially for newbies. Post us with any probs and we will hellp you as best we can. As I often say to those just starting out, there is no such thing as a silly question as we all have to learn. By the way, just put your location in your profile as your area and climate helps us to better understand and provide info for you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:55 »
I agree with Snowdrops.  If the plot has not been cultivated for a bit you will find that the fertility of the soil in the first year will be fine, but you will need to feed the soil for subsequent years.   It is a good idea to see if you can source a free supply of manure.  We get ours from a local stables who are only too happy for us to take it away for free, provided we supply our own bags.    Do check though that their grass has not been treated with anything containing aminopyralid as this could damage crops.  There are threads on this site which explain the problems this has caused in the past. 

I don't use chicken manure pellets or blood, fish and bone where I have plants in the ground as there is a fox on our site.  It thinks it can smell something to eat and will try and dig it up and takes the plants with it.  So if I am going to use those I do so when the bed is empty.   It's a pity as they can give things a boost.  If you don't have foxes about, should not be a problem.

xx
New growing season

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:04
by rowlandwells
xx
The Vegetables that I am growing this season.........

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 07:41
by Rob the rake
xx
Getting started for the new growing season

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 21:12
by New shoot
xx
How do you plan your growing season?

Started by fluffstermum on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 23:26
by fluffstermum

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 34 queries.