My new pc - BAH!

• 11 Replies

Goosegirl

My new pc - BAH!
« on: January 04, 2024, 09:25 »
The other day I went to play a DVD on my new PC but couldn't find where you put it in. Cue calling out the IT chappie who installed it only to be told they don't come with a DVD player now so he came out with a plug-in one. BAH! Why???  >:( >:( >:(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

hamstergbert

Re: My new pc - BAH!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 09:45 »
The other day I went to play a DVD on my new PC but couldn't find where you put it in. Cue calling out the IT chappie who installed it only to be told they don't come with a DVD player now so he came out with a plug-in one. BAH! Why???  >:( >:( >:(

Cheaper to build and justified in the expectation that we will all stream whatever we want to watch.
Bought myself a cheapie plug-in but resented having to do so.

Incidentally same applies to CD players in cars - although my 4 year old tarraco in addition to the ipod connections, USB slots, bluetooth linkages etc also comes with an old-school cd player hidden away in the glovebox! 

Cars also reflect the current move to having no spare wheel either unless you want to buy one separately (luckily they still seem to make to shaped tray for it to fit in). 

No matter what it is, PCs, laptops, cars etc the shift is always to cheapen the build and drop things you might actually prefer, and tell you it is progress.  Time for me box, I reckon.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 10:16 »
No one uses physical media any more GG it's all disappeared into the cloud.  That also lifted the resolution restriction that the relatively small storage capacity on a DVD allowed for.  There's no point in putting DVD readers into machines, they're just not used. All the cool kids now will have home media services such as plex to stream locally to whatever device they like you can't put a DVD in your phone.

I have a similar system here which I've copied all my stuff onto. I have to admit it's nice to just be able to browse the box sets with the TV remote for an old episode it's like having your own personal Netflix. 

JacsH

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 10:42 »
and there was me thinking that your new pc was a pressure canner  ;)

Christine

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 19:19 »
Goosegirl you and me are out of date methinks.  ;) I've an ex lower level gaming machine at the moment so it will do CDs if I want. It's years and years since I used to rent DVDs to watch on the computer (what's a telly - don't have one so DVDs used to be a good thing). Mind, my screens were never really good enough for this to be worthwhile. I'm going to have to get the head round iplayer though.

Took a lesson in Bluetooth whilst away at Christmas as the youngest of the bairns, husband and wide, both stream music to their phones and use Bluetooth to hear it round their house now they have a bigger place. My new Dab radio has a blue tooth facility but my phone isn't that advanced (no, the user isn't that advanced, time to learn).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 20:11 »
I have a plug-in CD / DVD player.

I probably also still have a plug-in floppy disc player somewhere  :wub: 8) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 20:14 »
I have a similar problem! Years ago I did a lot of family history research and loaded the family tree, which went back as far as the 1700s and as far away as Australia, onto a disc.
Nowadays I don't have anything I can view it on  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 20:23 »
Nowadays I don't have anything I can view it on  ::)
USB versions are still available assuming it was 3.5 and not 5.25 .

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 06:16 »
'Fraid it's the case these days...

I made up a biggish group of files about our village to give out, and while chatting to a chum, learned that he didn't have a CD slot in his PC, so he would give me a USB chip to copy to!

Spotify satisfies all my music listening now, we have countless DVDs of older progs - in fact I've just ordered a whole set of Frost, (David Jason), as for just a few quid, I'll have enough watching to last several months...

We don't watch any live TV nowadays, but if this laptop starts playing up again, or the bigger PC doesn't stop mucking me about, I'll be in some sort of bother! I do have a small personal DVD player though, which I can use with earphones, so as not to annoy Mrs Growster!

(The bigger PC has never been the same since I upgraded to Windows 11 - I think this was covered here a year or so ago)!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 09:39 »
Right, that does it! Although I've managed to get to grips with Windows 11 as much as I need to, I wish to remain a dinosaur - aka - Geegee fickisaurus (phew mods, hope this gets past you) as all I want on my PC is to do my emails, Word docs, a PowerPoint presentation, and play either a CD or a DVD. No idea and don't care about using Cloud, Netflix or any other thing that seems to have flown over my head like an Archaeopteryx on steroids.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 20:28 »
No one uses physical media any more GG it's all disappeared into the cloud.  That also lifted the resolution restriction that the relatively small storage capacity on a DVD allowed for.  There's no point in putting DVD readers into machines, they're just not used. All the cool kids now will have home media services such as plex to stream locally to whatever device they like you can't put a DVD in your phone.

I have a similar system here which I've copied all my stuff onto. I have to admit it's nice to just be able to browse the box sets with the TV remote for an old episode it's like having your own personal Netflix.

At work, there is increasing pressure to use cloud-based services/products like SharePoint and OneDrive for "collaboration". Problem is that sometimes some person from IT decides that directories where you have stored work product need to be reorganized.  Then, you can't find ANYTHING!!  The IT folks have rights to everything, including the ability to just move stuff when they want to. It has caused branch-wide consternation more than once.

It's against the rules, but I keep my work files on my laptop local drive. Backup elsewhere as needed.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 08:59 »
I've almost managed to figure what's where and how to get it, but my email contacts -  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: They're still all over the place alphabetically despite the PV chappie coming out to sort them for me. I used to be able to click on "TO" then select the appropriate person. Now I just get a contact list which, when I select my contact, it takes me to the details for the contact not on the email bar.  :mad: :mad:

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 49 queries.