Moving a grapevine.

• 1 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Moving a grapevine.
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:15 »
I have a grapevine growing up a wall at the rear of our house, I planted it three years ago and it appears to like its position (enclosed, south facing). Last year it gave fruit for the first time, roughly a dozen delicious bunches.

Problem is, we have plans to build a small extension and the footing will be dug exactly where the root base lives. One way or another it has to go. I was wondering if I carefully dug around it, got as deep as I could with minimal root damage, would it be possible to lift it, stick it is a large pot for a few weeks and then re-plant it after the building work is complete.

Do you think it would survive? I know that vines are deep rooting, there will almost certainly be quite a bit of root loss. I would really like to keep it if at all possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

Casey76

Re: Moving a grapevine.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 13:32 »
I haven't moved a big vine, but now is probably a good time to do it if you are.

The vine I moves was probably only a year in the ground, and I dug about a foot and a half round and a foot and a half deep, and it is now very happily growing at a friends house.

I think vines are farily resiliant, in general.  I cut one baco to about ground level because it was in a silly place, and the following year it started to regrow... this year I'm acutally going to get around to actually training it up something.

xx
How do I prune my grapevine?

Started by Snap Dragon on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 20:54
by Snap Dragon
xx
Moving Roses

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 11:03
by mumofstig
clip
Moving a Peony

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2019, 17:03
by grinling
xx
Moving aquilegia?

Started by Sweetpea C on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:16
by sion01

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.