gas hob or electric kettle?

• 3 Replies

gypsy

gas hob or electric kettle?
« on: August 10, 2014, 14:35 »
My electricity costs 24p per kilowatt and my gas costs 5p per kilowatt. Does that mean it is cheaper to use my electric kettle or boil a kettle on the gas hob. We tested boiling a mug of water in the electric kettle and the monitor said it took 0.4 KW we have no way of measuring the cost of gas.
Catherine

Auntiemogs

Re: gas hob or electric kettle?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 16:36 »
If those are both KWhr (killowatt hours), then it would depend on how long it takes for it to boil for the same amount/temp of water, i.e. if it took less than 5 times the amount of time to boil using the hob, that would be cheaper.  Then again, I have a hot water dispenser which just boils one cup at a time instead of the whole kettle (ok if you make the odd cup, but very slow for multiple cups and not much good for things like instant gravy)... ;)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23 »
I have an electric hob , I prefer gas as my hob has a mind of its own and I carnt leave it to simmer any trhing so I use my slow cooker a lot im hoping that we have a gas fitting behind the units , its an ex council house so it should have , my family allways moan abot their electric bills if they didn't fill their kettles to the top for one cup of tea they would soon see a difference .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18 »
We have started using gas to boil water for a brew and only put in as much water as is needed. I would like one of those kettles specifically designed to be used on a gas hob but they cost a fortune.

xx
jam pans and electric hobs

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 18:25
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 37 queries.