Would you recommend using a scythe to clear a new plot?

• 41 Replies

new_2_veg

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 21:18 »
ive for a brush cutter head on one of my perton strimmers, its a great bit of kit and has done everything ive always wanted it to

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

shaun

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 21:53 »
talking about ferreting and rabbits i remember gutting one and it had the biggest tape worm you would ever see.I kid you not it must have been 3' long  :shock:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 22:08 »
was it eck it was bunnys shoe lace ya found :roll:
still alive /............

shaun

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 22:10 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
was it eck it was bunnys shoe lace ya found :roll:

honest mate it was a tape worm.

Sally A

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 22:27 »
You're quite right snoozisuzi, it was the brushcutter head we used, not the strimmer line.

Sally

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 12:29 »
I'm with WG on this one if you have the big scythe with two handles not one of these single handed toy one and you you know what you're doing  use the scythe.

BTW I've seen sites about scything some people are into competitive scything  speed and style and finish.

If you don't know what you're doin with a scythe brushcutter strimmers no use the line breaks too easy

Just a thought a new scythe can cost upto about 70 quid
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 12:47 »
if you want a scythe go for the austrian one ,the handles are so comfortable and the swing is much more smoother .and it comes with a load of different blades ,£40 was the last one i got ....and had run over :roll:

bruirn

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 13:48 »
Cheers for all the excellent advice yet again and for the random mutant rabbit chat. Great stuff!

Might look into the sickle option.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 19:47 »
Quote from: "bruirn"
Quote from: "Sally A"
A petrol strimmer is 10 times easier, and you get to keep your toes.

Cheers Sally. As I'm still so new to this allotment lark I've still got this romantic notion that I'll forego using any mechanical devices in favour of traditional gardening methods. I'm sure once I've had a good tiring session down on my plot I'll be using every labour-saving advice under the sun and blitzing everything with the latest weedkiller !

I quite like the idea of scything myself, but apart from anything else, on a new plot the ground is unlikely to be anywhere near level enough and stones and rocks maybe present.  In any case, scythes are meant for cutting fine lawns and must be as sharp as a cut-throat to do so.  Any rough work would demolish a sycthe blade beyond any usefulness.  Sally is correct in saying that a stout brush-hook is a better tool for clearing an overgrown plot.

But I have an old scythe myself though never use it.  The piece of wood for the handle is a marvellous bent piece of ash and the thing's worth keeping for the rustic pleasure one gets just looking at it.  I keep meaning to rub down (it's not in bad condition anyway) and varnish the handle and maybe replace some of the rivets in the blade for brass ones and then display it as an ornamentation.

new_2_veg

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 19:50 »
Quote from: "Tinbasher"
Quote from: "bruirn"
Quote from: "Sally A"
A petrol strimmer is 10 times easier, and you get to keep your toes.

Cheers Sally. As I'm still so new to this allotment lark I've still got this romantic notion that I'll forego using any mechanical devices in favour of traditional gardening methods. I'm sure once I've had a good tiring session down on my plot I'll be using every labour-saving advice under the sun and blitzing everything with the latest weedkiller !

I quite like the idea of scything myself, but apart from anything else, on a new plot the ground is unlikely to be anywhere near level enough and stones and rocks maybe present.  In any case, scythes are meant for cutting fine lawns and must be as sharp as a cut-throat to do so.  Any rough work would demolish a sycthe blade beyond any usefulness.  Sally is correct in saying that a stout brush-hook is a better tool for clearing an overgrown plot.

But I have an old scythe myself though never use it.  The piece of wood for the handle is a marvellous bent piece of ash and the thing's worth keeping for the rustic pleasure one gets just looking at it.  I keep meaning to rub down (it's not in bad condition anyway) and varnish the handle and maybe replace some of the rivets in the blade for brass ones and then display it as an ornamentation.

thats a great idea, i know of a old one myself! not sure on the conddition tho

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2007, 20:10 »
Quote from: "new_2_veg"
Quote from: "Tinbasher"

thats a great idea, i know of a old one myself! not sure on the conddition tho

D'you think so? I'm glad cos I thought it might just be me and I was losing it.  But those original sycthe handles are a superb piece of woodcraft and not something you see often these days.  Complete rustic charm I think.  I have a high stairway and entrance hall and with some tasteful brackets and a polish-up of the scythe I reckon it would look excellent pegged high on the wall.  A medieval feel and sort of 'the portent of doom' to all who enter.  Next I'll be on the allotment in a black cloak and hood.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2007, 20:12 »
Scorched earth policy. Roundup strim burn. Job done :D
always have a target
and an objective.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 05:48 »
Or alternatively... Strim, rotavate, wait for rain, rotavate.  Job done.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 12:31 »
Tinbasher
something like teak oil or linseed oil would probably be better than varnish. That'll stop the wood breathing treat it like a old trusty cricket bat oil it and use it.

muntjac

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 12:33 »
i use gun oil made up for me by the richardson twins at halesworth its a 3 century old secret recipe .and its so sweet smelling .honestly its great for all wood  :wink:

question
Scythe - does anyone recommend one?

Started by Babycat on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 10:57
by compostqueen
xx
Scythe advice

Started by Chuffy on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 22:26
by Chuffy
xx
scythe or strimmer

Started by japagow on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 10:37
by japagow
xx
Using an Allen Scythe

Started by ihusker on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 21:12
by Fen

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 30 queries.