Late Brassica transplanting

• 7 Replies

Doc_D

Late Brassica transplanting
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:01 »
Looks like I've done too many spuds and onions this year, and as such, have run out of planting space! I'm just wondering how late I can get away with transplanting the following, Autumn cabbages, Brussels sprouts, autumn Cauliflowers.  I'm sure its fine for the proper winter brassicas.

My plan is to follow the broad beans or shallots/garlic do you think it will work?

Andy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Late Brassica transplanting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:05 »
As long as you keep potting them on as they fill their modules and pots, they should hold quite well for later planting. Just don't expect them to wait forever in a small module  ;)

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:37 »
My rotation is to plant purple sprouters and January King following broad beans and peas. This does not usually happen until early July. I only sowed the purple sprouters a week ago. I doubt if this would be possible with brussels or winter caulis as it would not give them a long enough growing season.

If the beans/peas are a bit late I plant the brassicas between the rows and then have to be careful where I put my feet. This year the beans/peas are late and I may have to alter things round.

Shallots/garlic harvest is usually just a bit later. I often follow them with leeks.

I have seen brussels/caulis planted between early potatoes just as the tops start to yellow but that will not happen until later this year.

seaside

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 16:37 »
As long as you keep potting them on as they fill their modules and pots, they should hold quite well for later planting. Just don't expect them to wait forever in a small module  ;)

Good advice. I can be a little tardy in potting on from modules, and then they don't half suffer.
The trouble is there are hundreds of plants in the Spring wanting to jump into bigger pots. There is a limited supply of pots, compost and time. I have now started the big plant out... the weather seems set fair enough down here.  July is surely the last month to plant out Autumn cabbages and caulis, but they need to be reasonably advanced.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 16:43 by seaside »

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 17:09 »
My plan is to follow the broad beans or shallots/garlic do you think it will work?
Andy

The main point is that the season is currently 4-5 weeks late. My Broad bean are about 6/8" high and I usually start picking June/July but I don't see that happening this year. Last year lifted my shallots in mid July  but this year they now just starting to get going. My potatoes are just breaking through having been in the ground for
7 weeks.  So I expect all of use will experience a log jam of some kind.  Just need a good supply of large pots to tie you over. Nature will deal with it in her own way.

Doc_D

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 20:08 »
Thanks for replies, will just keep potting on until space vacated, don't hold out so much hope for sprouts' but sure the others will be ok.  Had a very large hungry gap this year, after my first growing season, and keen to do better this year...

Leeks will be following 1st earlies, so these brassicas must follow broad beans, 2nd earlies, or shallots. I reckon 1st earlies will be up around mid July, can't call the beans though. Biggest now 2ft high and flowering well. Over wintered shallots going great guns too.

Andy

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 23:22 »
Thanks for replies, will just keep potting on until space vacated, don't hold out so much hope for sprouts

Andy

Andy, just a wee tip from up here.  My sprouts are just at seed leaf having been sown 10 days ago.  I'll aim to get them in the ground around the last week of June/first week of July.   That timing will be quite enough for them to produce here.  Later, and i think we'd struggle. The ground they are going into is already vacant - will only be 6 plants, around a metre and half square.  I always grudge leaving this space, until we're eating the sprouts, but it makes sense in the end. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 23:25 by shoozie »

Doc_D

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:54 »
That's good info. I'm in Bristol so a bit warmer, but my plot is partially shaded...

I have some heritage red bull Brussels in, but wanted to have a few f1 plants as back up as I failed with traditional variety (Evesham special) last year.

On hols for 2 weeks end of June which only adds more complication!

xx
Brassica's....too late to rescue?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 08:34
by DD.
xx
too late for mushroom compost on brassica beds?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 23:06
by mumofstig
xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Transplanting?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 12:01
by Kristen

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 37 queries.