My cat bites me hard!

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

My cat bites me hard!
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:20 »
Amber is a ginger and white tabby rescue cat (one of four) who is SOOO pretty, but has always been nervous, and she desperately loves being stroked etc and cuddles up to me on the bed at night. Sometimes though, she will suddenly give me a real hard bite that draws blood and I don't know why. The others do it too, but it is more like a gentle love bite and then they lick my skin.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Oliveview

Re: My cat bites me hard!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26 »
Does Amber do it on a full moon?  :ohmy:

Pamela

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59 »
my girls (cats) do that when I'm not giving them enough attention and also when playing - like you say it's not usually that hard though...  

could it be that she just doesn't realise how hard she's biting you? - or have you noticed she does it when you stroke her in a particular place? - one of our friends cats despises his tummy being touched and will scratch/bite if you do so...

on the occasions mine have nipped a bit too hard then I'll sometimes squeak at them  :nowink: (like they do if they're playing together and one get's too rough - there is some logic to my madness), or they get a stern 'NO' and are pushed off the bed/sofa - either way no more play or cuddles  >:(  - they do learn what is acceptable and what's not, honestly!

However if it because of a particularly sensitive part she doesn't like being touched (like the belly) then I think you just have to know where the boundaries are

She sounds lovely though - but 4 cats  :ohmy: - Two are handful enough :lol: :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 13:06 »
Oh dear Goosegirl.  :ohmy:  

It sounds as though she is getting a bit carried away there.  My Izzy gets overexcited sometimes when I fuss him and bites me but doesn't draw blood, it's normally bite bite bite, lick lick lick, bite bite bite etc.

It may be worth getting some Feliway spray or a diffuser to help calm her down a bit and as VegGirl says, a low growl or a hiss if she does it again.  :)

Please do keep an eye on those bites, they can be very dangerous if an infection sets in.

I don't know what I would do without my babies (Millie & Izzy).  I have had them for 5 years now (they must have been about 6 months old when I got them) and they are still very nervous and jumpy but so loving, especially Izzy, who is definitely a mummy's boy and sleeps on my bed every night.  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 13:44 »
A loud ouch and pushing her off my lap each time it happened soon stopped Lucycat doing it!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 14:34 »
Thank you for your all comments. Here she is in all her modelling and posing glory! I believe she does get carried away, though I will find it hard to push her away. She does look like she is saying "What have I done" when I go "OW!"
Amber - Copy.JPG

spottymint

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:26 »
I know your pain, our new kitten will attack anything that he can, feet, hands ect.

He will pounce with no provocation.  :mad:

A hard, deep "ow" or "no" sometimes works, a stare does not, you get a swipe around the face.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47 »
Aww Goosegirl, Amber is beautiful, but don't feel bad about pushing her away.  Like a lot of animals, cats and dogs used to go around in packs, or prides if talking about big cats,  and they would get chastised by the leaders.

You've got to show Amber who's boss, and it certainly isn't her.

People say how well behaved our Penny dog is, and although we love her to bits, she knows who is boss of her pack.  She never gets up on the furniture.  Her bed is on the floor and she knows it.  I can leave a tray of cakes on the coffee table and I know that although she might sit there looking at them and drooling a bit, she won't touch them until I give her one.

She still loves us, but she is treated like a dog.  My cousin's dog is treated like a baby, and she is a terror!

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 15:41 »
My cat Henry used to bite all the time and it really hurt. I tried squealing. tapping him on the nose, pushing him away but he just bit harder. I'm told hand reared cats can be like this (Henry was hand reared) as they didn't have a mum to teach them boundaries. A water pistol nearby may help. Usually you only have to squirt them a couple of times and the sight of it alone will send them shooting for cover. Didn't work for Henry though.
The thing that really worked with Henry  was bringing home a female kitten. He dotes on her, chases and bites and plays with her and very rarely bites us now. She gets it all! :lol: Alice cat does not seem to mind though and gives as good as she gets.
Amber is very beautiful and looks like she knows it! Perhaps she thinks she's too good for you! :)

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 19:46 »
Goosegirl, Amber is absolutely gorgeous, I hope you find a way to stop her biting. I have a big, old, ugly mug and he is deaf so no shouting at him will do any good. But he has learned a little sign language! (I taught him not to be picky with his food by staring at him hard and pointing to his bowl! He knows now he must eat everything up before he can have anything else! And now when I pont at his bowl he looks at me with doleful eyes then puts his head down and eats!). I think cats can be trained a little bit, you just have to find out what works for each individual one. :)

clip
It's a Hard Life!

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 18:50
by John
xx
I've forgotten how hard work puppies are !! !

Started by sarajane on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 22:38
by Dawnuss
xx
Timön ate a very hard plum stone

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 21:17
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.