Replacing a Victoria plum tree

• 2 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Replacing a Victoria plum tree
« on: October 24, 2016, 17:51 »
My 35 year-old Victoria plum gave up the ghost 2 years ago and I bought a replacement and planted it in a fresh plot into what previously had been pasture. Unfortunately it died in its first year without any obvious cause so I have just been and bought a fresh one, ready potted in a 30 litre pot. A couple of questions:
Would it be unwise to replant it in the same spot as the one that died?
Is there any special soil preparation I should undertake to give it a really good chance in life? (Here I might add that I planted three apple, a pear and a cherry tree on the same pasture at the same time as the deceased plum and they have romped away and delivered a decent harvest in their first full year)
Any other advice?

ilan

• Experienced Member
Re: Replacing a Victoria plum tree
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 18:17 »
I would think it depends a lot on soil for instance i you are in heavy clay simply digging a hole filling it with compost will make perfect conditions for water logged roots , whilst in light sandy soil this would be the way to go . I just dig a hole twice as deep as the tree needs planting a little blood fish and bone , back fill and plant with a stake to secure it and protect against deer and rabits. keep it grass free and remove the stake after a couple of years to encourage root growth
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Replacing a Victoria plum tree
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 20:01 »
The soil is quite clayey and rather shallow. Underneath it is a deep layer of what the Cumbrians call brash, a sort of shale and clay mixture. As I said before, I've planted fruit trees into this before with no problems. However, how does this sound for a plan? I'll excavate to about 2 ft deep x 2 ft diameter, put about 6" grit on the bottom and then fill up with good imported garden soil so that the plum tree will be completely encased by good soil and, thanks to the grit, unlikely to get water-logged. Obviously I'll throw in some BF and Bone too

question
Victoria Plum Tree

Started by Newbe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 21:52
by Gandan57
xx
Victoria plum tree

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 09:06
by jambop
xx
Victoria plum tree

Started by BacktoBasics on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 17:07
by stainesbloke
xx
Victoria plum tree flowers

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 00:13
by Dan78

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 38 queries.