Skate

• 14 Replies

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Skate
« on: August 06, 2011, 15:28 »
Our neighbour gave us some freshly caught Skate yesterday but, to be honest, we haven't a clue what to do with it! Some sites say it needs soaking for 24 hours to get rid of the ammonia taste and others say freeze to get rid of the ammonia taste. Even after we've done that, has anyone any ideas on how we prepare it for cooking? What it tastes like?
Val
Recipes Galore!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Skate
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 15:31 »
Its a lovely meaty fish, I've only ever eaten the wings though. Re. the ammonia taste, I had always understood that came from it not being as fresh as it might be. Skate wings pan fried in black butter. Yum. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 15:34 »
Nearly ditto there!  Brian likes skate too, but can't help with the ammonia problem.

I either pan fry the wings in black butter, or do it in the microwave, black butter, covered in cling film!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 15:49 »
mumused to soak it in water with some vinegar in it.

Pan fried in butter (or in batter from the chippy) lovely fish  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 18:18 »
I love it, it's my favourite fish.  I've never soaked it myself if it's nice and fresh.

Skin it and pan fry or wrap in buttered foil and bake in the oven.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 20:11 »
Pan fried in butter, which goes lovely and golden brown. Take out the fish from the pan.

Then lemon juice, chopped capers and chopped parsley to make a sauce to pour over.

Yummmmmm  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

catllar

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 16:07 »
I love it - ammonia smell means it's past its best and personally I'd bin it. It doesn't like  being frozen, according to my fishmonger and it'll turn very quickly.

I cook it in the oven in tinfoil with lemon and garlic and a bit of olive oil, but the fish is not the most attactive colour cooked like that it must be said. It presents better if it's crumbed or floured and either grilled or fried and then capers, lemon, and buttery juices as everyone els has said - oh yes and mind the prickles on the skin whilst dealing with it  - are we selling this one or not? Seriously - it is a really nice fish and the advantage of no nasty bones, just cartilege.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 16:29 »
Google suggests that it's female skate 'in season' that has the ammonia smell when fresh!
Val's skate was only caught the day before so I wouldn't have thought it was off already :unsure:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 16:36 »
Probably not, but it does go off remarkably quickly and, although I didn't state it in great big letters in my first post, like catllar I wouldn't eat it if it did smell of ammonia.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 16:40 »
We haven't heard from Val since ... do you think she's survived?  ::) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Val H

• Recipes
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 16:49 »
We could not smell ammonia and it was fresh. John reckoned it was 2 wings (with cartlidge/muscle attached) but they were VERY big....each would fill a roasting tin so pan frying wasn't really an option. In the end we wrapped in foil, topped with a butter, lemon juice, black pepper and a little milk, and basted them in the oven. John then removed the flesh from them. After tasting, think the flesh will be better used with another (preferably smoked) fish in a fish pie or fish cake - not certain yet! The mackerel that the neighbour also gave us were a lot easier to deal with :D :D :D.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 16:52 »
Lurvely  :D

catllar

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 18:01 »
Not clear if you liked it or not there Val! I'd hazard a "No" vote? Personally I wouldn't have used any milk - a splash of dry sherry or white wine perhaps.  I've heard the female "in season" hypothesis too but I'm not sure  that isn't just an urban legend. Whatever the tru  reason, in my little mind ammonia or other stinkywise fish equals bin not belly!

Love fresh mackerel too - done in the smoker - yum!

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 18:13 »
Skate {or rays to be accurate) really does taste better after a couple of weeks in the freezer, if the wings were large it may have been a blond ray which are not the best eating.
Skin the wing and cut into portions (follow the grain off the flesh) before freezing. We normally have it fried or grilled with a butter and black pepper sauce.

Ps the ammonia smell is normal as they are members of the shark family which do excrete ammonia through the skin, the freezer gets rid of it. :) :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 18:16 by 8doubles »

Val H

• Recipes
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 18:13 »
To be honest I'm not a very "fishy" person! John loves most fish and molluscs but I can't bring myself to eat a prawn, let alone a lobster or oyster :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:. I didn't dislike it but can't say I was that impressed. Think I'd better stick with cod and haddock (preferably smoked) and especially smoked salmon. :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 18:14 by Val H »

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.