chicken thrown over back fence !!!! boy or girl

• 13 Replies

smallville

chicken thrown over back fence !!!! boy or girl
« on: July 26, 2011, 17:16 »
Hi everyone hope you can help me sex our latest arrival, Heres the story, sitting on my comp on saturday night, rain pouring down and husband and i heard a tap at the window, we thought it was kids out of bed, but then heard tap again, husband went outside and down the side of our chicken coop, huddled against the rain was this little hopefully girl, We brought her in and put her in a small coop until morning, the crux of the matter is ,she was thrown over a 7ft fence, now we are trying to decide her sex, she does not crow , and is very mild tempered, i cant see why she would have been thrown over a fence by people who obviously knew we had chickens, my thoughts are that i think she is an ex batt as her feathers are growing back  and she also has a deformed couple of toes, they are crooked, any ideas would be great. thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: chicken thrown over back fence !!!! boy or girl
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 18:21 »
I would say hen  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

smallville

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 19:57 »
 :) thanks for answering , that is good news, we have called her Rocky, you know chicken run over the fence sort of thing, we are quarentining her at the moment,  dont understand people, throwing a chicken over a fence, they only had to knock the door and we would have taken her in, and if she s an ex batt what sort of person would take one in only to throw it over a 7 ft fence like a bag of spuds, boggles the mind.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 20:01 »
she certainly looks like my ex batts except her legs are yellow.
Some people are just so sick to do a thing like that though - they may know you have chickens but they don't know if you had an aggressive dog or whatever over the fence  >:(

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 20:10 »
how kind of you to take her in, she has fallen on her feet (literally) lets hope the people who do this develop a conscience and lets hope Rocky has a happy life with you
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

smallville

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 20:14 »
Thats exactly what we said, we have a yorkie and if he had been out there he would have grabbed her just because she was in his garden, as it is shes been chasing him today and making sure he knows where he comes in the pecking order. Well shes mine now. I wonder how old she is? she looks older than my girls and they are 1.
thanks daisy1990 she will be happy and spoilt here,  im not sure if previous owner have a concience to be able to throw a chicken 7 ft into the air not knowing what it was going to land on or what was behing the fence. like i say better to have knocked the door.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 21:19 »
Poor thing, sounds like she went from the frying pan straight into the fire!   :ohmy:

At least she's got a good home now, even if she took the scenic route getting there   :)

tanya10

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05 »
How nice of you to take her in . How cruel to do that to a hen , looks like she has landed on her feet & has owners that will care for her , hope she brings you alot of joy , what ever she is , an ex battery hen or what ever she is very beautiful ,she has nice markings .

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:25 »
Hi, sorry to say, but I think it looks like a young cockerel, perhaps about 8-10 weeks old.  and I would hazard a guess and say it is a meat hybrid cross...

of course i could be completely wrong lol ;)

smallville

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 17:39 »
Hi, sorry to say, but I think it looks like a young cockerel, perhaps about 8-10 weeks old.  and I would hazard a guess and say it is a meat hybrid cross...

of course i could be completely wrong lol ;)
Oh no i hope you are wrong, she doesn't look young though thats  the thing, i hope she is not a boy
to go through all that would be awful because if she/he starts crowing she/he will need to go. sad :(

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 22:49 »
i'm sorry but i agree. rocky looks like our hybrid boy. same lean body and thick set yellow legs.

sending him/her lots of get well soon wishes.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

scarymary

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 11:31 »
I really hope 'she' is a girl! Another thought, though. Have you checked that she hasn't been pinched from someone and thrown over your fence randomly? There are some sick people out there..

Scary

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 21:16 »
I agree with the last few posts, looks very like my 18 week old that has just started jumping my other hens!! ???

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 22:16 »
maybe a stupid suggestion, and not one I'm in a position to check out for myself, but do male vents look any different to females?  if they do, then perhaps that's one way you could know for almost sure

just a suggestion

xx
got my sick girl back

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 15:47
by karlooben
xx
Need help with chicken fence

Started by bills_m on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 13:44
by poppies
xx
Feed thrown everywhere

Started by T C on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 07:08
by FRUITFULL
xx
pellets being thrown out the feeder!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 17:15
by wolverine

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 40 queries.