Where do you buy your seeds?

• 13 Replies

Porffor

« on: June 21, 2008, 20:27 »
Just thinking ahead.. :lol:

I used to buy from an organic catalogue but can't remember the name for the life of me..

just wondered where you all buy from? I've cheated this year buying from Supermarkets (seeds) and some veg ready planted from garden centres, but want to go totally from seed / bulbs etc next year for both flowers and veg. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 20:35 »
Just bought most of the seeds I needed from T & M in their half price sale, (now ended), with the most expensive packet free as well.

Moles Seeds (Link) are one of the best around for value, but you get way more for your money than the average gardener needs. Great if you can share with others. The sweetcorn seed I bought last year had over 300 seed in the packet, for twice the cost of a packet of 30 from other sources
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 20:54 »
Mainly good ol' Wilkinsons for me, but will have a scooch at the seed catalogues next year now Ive got my lotty for more ideas on what to grow, especially different varieties of peas

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Big Jen

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 21:10 »
I bought quite a lot from Nickys seeds has some unusual things and very good value.
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 21:28 »
yup, wilkinsons for me too ( www.wilkinsonplus.co.uk ).

I've ordered loads of stuff from them and they deliver.  My 2 new louvre vents will be delivered on monday so can't wait!

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 21:38 »
I like The Real Seed Catalogue www.realseeds.co.uk
Good service, large packets, interesting varieties.
They don't have everything that you'll need though, for example they don't list broad beans or runner beans.
When they thought that one of the packets of beans that I had bought was likely to have suffered from poor germination rates they contacted me by email, and asked me if I too had had a problem and offered to replace the offending packet.

T&M for a lot of the remainder as the half price sale and their occasional vouchers do bring down the costs.

Alan Romans for spuds.

Philip

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 22:05 »
Spudswise we are lucky enough to have a local family run nursery offering about 90 different varieties. Postage on spuds pushes the price way high.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17 »
iv'e bought of alan romans the last 4 years,fraction of the price compared to the big boys.
no fancy packets or flashy labels just excellent seeds :D

http://www.alanromans.com/

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:09 »
Real Seeds have an interesting collection and the bonus is that you get to save all the seed for next year

Wilko is good for seeds I reckon but Fothergills do a really quick service and they answer any questions you might have

GreenOwl

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 14:06 »
I got my seeds this year from www.moreveg.net.

You only get a small amount of seed in a packet - but you only pay a small price per packet.  Its fine for the back garden.  I will probably shop elsewhere when I finally get an allotment.  No problems, good services  No pretty pictures on the packets but still got advice on when to sow etc.  Would use again.

Previous year, I used Mr. Fothergills and I'm still using up seeds from those packets.  No problems and they had varieties I wanted to try.

I usually buys spuds locally as the postage costs are so high but I went for the 10 "free" Vales Emerald from DT Brown this year (for 99p postage - hence "free" in inverted commas) and they have been excellent.

Porffor

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 21:25 »
Well i have quite an impressive stock of seeds now even if i do say so myself! :lol:

bought some for the autumn planting and others for next year, and some for this year - plan to get them in soon (beetroot and pumpkins). :)

Must dig out a small shoe box for the rest :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 21:27 »
Think I'm about sorted also, apart from parsnip & the 'big stuff'.

Porffor

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 21:34 »
:) what's the big stuff? lol

I do want to get some onion sets also for this year.

Err i bought some onion seeds.. is it wise to plant these now and get them growing for autumn or am I wasting my time?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 22:28 »
Big stuff = anything pea size or larger. Can get all these when needed loose from the local garden centre far cheaper than any half price catalogue offer.

xx
wild meadow seeds/wildflower seeds

Started by trapper on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 17:15
by trapper
xx
veg seeds

Started by gaynorthegardener on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 13:49
by gaynorthegardener
xx
Old Seeds

Started by mum2many on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2010, 14:15
by zazen999
xx
Old seeds

Started by Stree on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 14:22
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.