Is there an optician in the house?

• 4 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Is there an optician in the house?
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:31 »
I have noticed that old Daisey appears to be loosing her vision. Over the last week or so she has become a little clumsy and when I threw some corn the other day she didn't see, normally she is greedy and hoovers it all up.
This morning I let her out and she couldn't see the steps down, when she did get down she walked straight into the water bottle, she found her food and took plenty, had a drink then found her back into the coop.
The big question for me now is what do I do  :(
Any advice? Knowing what I know about the human eye I suspect there will be nothing a vet could do.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Is there an optician in the house?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:27 »
the only thing I can suggest is that whilst her quality of life is still good then just make sure you place everything in the same place everyday and feed her the mixed corn from your hand. If she continues to struggle to get out of the coop could she not have a ground level little coop just for herself?
Does her eyes show any signs of changing colour - especially her pupils? The reason I ask is to see if she has cataracts or even occular mareks rather than just old age - scroll down  on this page to the pictures showing eyes of a normal bird and one with ocular mareks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:05 »
Thanks for that, will have a proper look tonight.
The Iris looks like the normal one in the picture, the pupil also looked big not small from what I can remember this morning.
I dont suspect cataracts, again I am pretty used to this day in day out at work, I suspect it will be retinal, just like us.
Never done ophthlamosocopy on a chicken before  :lol:

She is cracking on now, we have had a few years and she was a rescue xbat so maybe just like me old age is catching up.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 13:53 »
I knew you would have already checked for cataracts but really just wanted to check for mareks. I'm sure in your line of work you would have noticed anything like that as it would stand out a mile. So yes guess it must be old age, so just make sure everything is always in the same place  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 14:39 »
One of the things you will have to be aware of is any startling noise as she will probably panic which won't be good.  A rabbit hutch may be the way to go as she will be safe, dry and warm. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
my run and house

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 16:53
by karlooben
xx
Hen house

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 21:08
by Foxy
xx
what can I use in the hen house

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 23:21
by Stree
xx
DIY Hen House

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 15:18
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.