turkeys

• 23 Replies

jaxchucks

Re: turkeys
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 16:50 »
Hi
I hatched my eggs in July I hatched five eggs and I had three males and two females, a couple of weeks ago one of the females dropped down dead!!! but the other four appear healthy and are still growing fast. I have put them on Turkey finisher as we finished our Turkey rearer feed last week.
Granny Annie how many Turkeys do you have? I dont think I am giving mine enough to eat as we only feed them once a day 

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 17:44 »
took a pick of mine today got to hunt down the lead now! mine have access to thier food and water 24hrs a day. they dont feel very heavy when  i pick them up but they are ridiculously strong! they dont seem friendly like HF said though instead they seem scared of me. I think i must have just got wierd turkeys! ha!  :wacko:

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 17:48 »
forgot to ask, how many litres is the drinker in the background on your pic HF? just to give a scale.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 19:56 »
Found the lead heres the pics i took today
Photo0505.jpg

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 19:57 »
and these
turkeys2.jpg
turkeys3.jpg

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 21:09 »
Yep, they are indeed Kelly's White Plumpies as HF said.  No good trying to breed from them, as their Mum's were artifically inseminated. 

One thing, are you all feeding them adlib?  I have spoken to some people growing turkeys for the first time and they only put out food am and pm, but they need to feed whenever they want.  Ours are on a bag a day at the moment!  :D

Yep they have food available all the time.  It's in a feeder under cover but I also throw them a handful in a "sombrerro" trough you can see in the photos whenever I pass by.
HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 21:12 »
forgot to ask, how many litres is the drinker in the background on your pic HF? just to give a scale.

4litres I think.
I keep mine in in the morning in a pig shed (like a little nissen hut) along with food and water to encourage them to feed as otherwise they tend to gorge on the grass.  I let them out at around midday and they also get some feed in the trough in their run to pick at.  Then back to the house at around 5 ish.

When I let them out they flock round me as they are very curious about the elasticated gold (not solid of course) toggles on my fleece which the grab and pull.  Usuallly giving me a twang on the backside when they release them.  Then they all have a mad 10mins flying around before starting to graze on the grass.  I've not tried to handfeed them but they know when I bring the feedbucket and mob me.  They don't seem interested on corn.  They are just about trained to come into the house when called at night though very slowly.  I use a head torch (LED Lenser) which I 'd recommend every chicken keeper has as they are invaluable for lighting your way hands free on these dark evenings and if I shine this in front of them in the semi dark they will follow it to the house.

Regards
HF
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 23:59 by hillfooter »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 23:23 »
I use a head torch too HF, brilliant aren't they?

hillfooter

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 00:01 »
I use a head torch too HF, brilliant aren't they?

Certainly are and if you don't have one get santa to sneak one into your Christmas stocking.
HF

xx
turkeys

Started by millymolymandy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 20:34
by millymolymandy
xx
Turkeys

Started by eneville on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 06, 2012, 15:32
by ANHBUC
smiley
TURKEYS

Started by THE MOTHER HEN on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2019, 15:06
by Toosje
xx
Turkeys

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 14:06
by muntjac

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.