squash, winter & pumpkins

• 15 Replies

rowlandwells

squash, winter & pumpkins
« on: February 05, 2021, 17:20 »
we had good pickings from our squash and pumpkin crops last year the squashes and pumpkins have kept well we put some in the freezer and those that has started to turn we are using in stews and other dishes as well as soups i find there also nice mixed with mash potatoes

we grew butternut Hunter and Walnut and a kind person gave us some uchiki kuri to try  they had a very nice taste so we intend to grow more of those this year another taster was crown prince we are definitely hooked on growing squashes they have been a good winter veg

I'm also partial to the wife's courgette soup just the job for those cold damp winter days after a trip down the allotments  :D :D

so who grows squashes and pumpkins? to eat and do you love pumpkins and squashes  or do you hate um  :D :D :

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: squash, winter & pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 18:11 »
You already know that I love growing and eating them  :lol:

Hungry Caterpillar

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 18:46 »
I planted 8 courgettes and squashes this year, and still ended up short! Some of them were eaten by slugs and some just sat there and sulked. Even the ones that were productive didn't do as well as usual this year, so apart from some pumpkin soup in the freezer, I've run out. Yet in 2019 I needed the wheelbarrow to get the pumpkin home and a saw to get into it. Has anyone worked out the secret to getting a good crop of sensible sized pumpkins?
This post is 100% biodegradable and can be composted after use.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 19:22 »
Plenty of feed and water, and pray for warm weather  :D

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 20:31 »
We eat squash (with chilli and/or tomato or with leeks) soup by the bucket full over winter. Plus add to curries and (mashed) in lasagnes all year.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 20:45 »
Winter squash are definately one of the best and tastiest crops to store .
Tried a few different varieties over the years my favourite being Sweet Mama which is very similar to Crown Prince but not quite so easy to get the seed this side of the pond !

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 12:35 »
I love growing them, but last year was a complete disaster for me and also others on our site.  We put it down to weather.
My favourites are Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato Acorn Squash, Flat White Boer, Musquee de Province, Winter Luxury and Boston Squash.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 16:32 »
well Hungry caterpillar all we do after cultivating the ground is plant each plant in the ground with a good helping of well rotted horse manure and as they grow feed with with a good quality organic liquid feed and then crops are plenty :D :D

Hungry Caterpillar

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 20:12 »
I guess I need to pray harder then! Last year they got all the compost I had when I planted them out, I'm sure having no rain for a couple of months in the spring didn't help them get off to a good start...

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 11:42 »
I like to grow the kuri the really good if ya cut in half roast for an hour with some nutmeg and a tablespoon of butter

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 14:02 »
that sounds good to me snowboar I'm going to pass that on to my other half to give it a go  :D

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 00:58 »
Well, what a revelation this year has been. In a couple of weeks time we will have had our plot for a year. This is the first allotment we have had for several decades, having taken to growing on our own land. When we moved out of London, back in June 2019, the first thing we did was to put our name down for an allotment. We had not realised how insular we had become by not being part of the wider growing community.

Many things had changed since we last had an allotment and one of those was that people were growing all sorts of things we had never tried before. One of which are squashes. At the end of the season we were given several squashes by other plot holders to try... Now we are hooked on them. My wife and I both cook and have spent a lot of time dreaming up different ways of using them, but our favourite ways, to date, are to use them are as soup or stuffed with meat and/or other vegetables, and baked.

This year we are planning to grow lots of our own starting off with butternut squash planted at the ends of our first early potatoes, so they can take the space freed up as the potatoes are lifted.

Other squash and pumpkin are also in the plan. Not having grown any before, this year will be an experiment, not only with our growing methods, but also on what varieties we like. We are looking forward to an interesting year.

Ralph.
I need more space...

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 21:21 »
forgot to say first half hour roast skin side up then turn over and add the nutmeg and butter then roast for the other half hour you’ll love em

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 08:45 »
Last year we grew some 'Butterfly' butternut squashes and they were fab, giant fruits with small seed cavities on stems happily rambling over the ground inbetween other things. Def doing them again this year!

We just roasted ours in foil and made soup out of them. Delicious.

Ema

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 19:40 »
I can never grow enough!!

This is what we’ve got left, the piddly ones that aren’t worth peeling and are better for roasting in half.

We had a huge pumkin this year, gave lots away and have just used the last of the chunks we froze.

D171FF82-1782-4E53-A7D2-43EA778AF963.jpeg
D0B32B98-87C0-4372-87A6-EF4BB9F6F80C.jpeg

xx
When to harvest pumpkins/ winter squash?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 12:47
by mumofstig
xx
Pumpkins & squash

Started by jcbuz1970 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 15:12
by jcbuz1970
xx
When to cut squash and pumpkins

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 08:56
by bigben
xx
squash/pumpkins in storage.

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:11
by suziet88

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 50 queries.