Tomato Seedlings

• 11 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Tomato Seedlings
« on: April 01, 2013, 00:11 »
Hi Everyone.
This year we are growing from seed instead of buying plants. We have set a single seed of each of the following in 3" pots :- 2 x Alacanti, 2 x Roma & 2 x Tumbling Toms. They are all up & about 2" tall with 2/3 sets of leaves on them is it now time to pot them on into larger pots & do we plant them lower down in the new compost so that some of the stems are covered.
Keith/Sharon  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Tomato Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49 »
They don't really need to be in larger pots yet, but could do with repotting deeper as you say.

There is no real need to start seed as you've done, I use seed trays and grow 24 in each half size seed tray. I'd re pot them, but re-use the same compost, topping up if need.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:13 »
Hiya
Thanks DD for your answer to my question. We only have room for 2 upright plant & 1 hanging basket, that's why we set them this way in 3" pots but we did set 2 of each in case of any failures but I suppose we could put both Tumbling Toms in 1 basket or would that be to much for a 12" basket ?
Thanks again we will re-pot them latter today & in a few weeks time choose the best of each to grow on.
Keith/Sharon

Totty

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37 »
Two tumblers will be fine in a basket so long as you feed them weekly and they will dry out quickly. As DD said, I would pot them up now, I would even nick the two seed leaves off and plant them so the first set of true leaves are touching the compost.

Totty

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48 »
I would even nick the two seed leaves off and plant them so the first set of true leaves are touching the compost.

Totty

I never knew that how to pot on tomatoes  :blush:
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

Totty

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05 »
Deeper the better. The stems will throw out advantageous roots so you will have stumper stronger plants with more roots. Win win.

Totty

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:13 »
So it doesn't really matter that they are a little leggy? Sorry for usurping the thread

HuwG

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25 »
Bury them deep and they don't look to leggy!

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 21:10 »
Hi again.
Thanks for all your comments, also thank's to Parsley, your interest got us even more info.
Keith/Sharon

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 21:34 »
There is a post about tumbling tomatoes down the chat threads with replies today.

Apparently Marshalls seeds say its ok to have 3 plants in a hanging basket but they take a ridiculous amount if watering.

They look pretty though
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11 »
I always sow my tommy seed in individual pots and bring them on on a widow sill. This year, Ive had some germinate, but suddenly stop doing much. On inspection, the stems have got really thin at soil level. Too much water? The majority are fine, it's just the odd one or two. I must admit, I have been watering from the top, but only with a very fine spray, and very little at a time. It's not waterlogged, but it's far from dry. The compost was well damp before I planted the seed and it has certainly not dried out further down the pot.

Another little question: on a yank website, they advocate feeding seedlings with a very dilute feed. I have always left it until the first truss before I give any feed at all. Do they know something we don't?

Totty

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 16:51 »
They know little if anything that we dont ;)
Good quality MP compost will have enough feed to last until first truss for sure.

Totty

xx
Tomato seedlings.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 07:00
by Growster...
question
Where to keep tomato seedlings

Started by mexi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:22
by mexi
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 13:44
by Beetroot queen
xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.