Gutted

• 7 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Gutted
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:55 »
So yesterday I decided to move my plastic greenhouse as it was in direct sun all day and everything was drying out to quickly and as a result things were not germinating so I removed all I had lost hope for but kept my 28 parsnips that I was hoping to see more of as only 1 had germinated! Everything else that was doing well was arranged in the greenhouse and it was weighed down. Now silly me because as I moved it I said to myself "Cor this wind is strong I hope this doesn't get blown over!" Well need I go on :-(

You guessed it 5 mins later everything was in a heap on the floor :-( I lost all of my parsnips but luckily managed to save quite a few seedlings by a miracle of God! Now my only real problem is will it all recover ok or do I plant more incase and I have one seedling that I can't identify! It is either a gherkin or a lemon cucumber and as they look exactly the same as each other I will have to plant it alone and see what comes of it!

:-(

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Re: Gutted
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59 »
Golden rule - never move any sheet material or buildings in high winds.  You could have always shaded the greenhouse off with netting to make it cooler.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03 »
No sadly I couldn't still never mind at least now I know where not to position it! Although having anchored it down I still can't believe it went over :-(

stompy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:53 »
I have one of those cheapy 4 tier ones from Wilko's and have a 2ft x2ft concrete slab on the bottom shelf.
It has never gone over yet.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:00 »
Thats all this is really 4 or 5 shelves plastic cover etc maybe I need to raid an old washing machine for it's concrete lump?

Still live and learn!

stompy

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24 »
I use mine to bring the potted on toms (etc) on for the main greenhouse on the plot.
OH complains about every windowsill in the house being cluttered (as she puts it) with plants.
She doesn't complain when their fruiting though.  :lol:

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:35 »
It's all I have as the cats seem to not care if I have covered the windowsills in pots they lay on them whatever! So for me everything has to be done in it! I am looking into getting a bigger one at the end of this season when their knocked down in price as I just don't have enough room!

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 12:58 »
Put the seed trays or pots in a tie sealed plastic bag and they cannot dry out , water once when you put the seeds in and not again till the plants show. A wire hoop pushed in to the soil will keep the plastic off the tray and give some growing room.

Instead of a lump of concrete use a large tub of water to hold the 'tent' in place.Handy for watering  it will also act as a storage heater overnight.

xx
I'm gutted

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 13:01
by Stevens706
xx
gutted :-(

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:16
by fekq
xx
gutted

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 17:41
by tetley
xx
Gutted

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 22:03
by corndolly

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 34 queries.