A Hen of Two Extremes

• 4 Replies

hectorshome

A Hen of Two Extremes
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:36 »
My latest worry - yes sorry to bother you all again - is one of our hens yesterday started just laying around in the pen.  She just wanted to sleep.  Oddly though by lunchtime my husband said she had perked up and was scratching and eating happily.  Last night however she was back wanting to do nothing but sleep.  She found herself a corner and lay down.  In desperation I called the local vet and got an appointment - she checked her temperature which she said was fine, gave her an injection I assume of antibiotics and gave her something to eat with a tube down her throat.

This morning - after pretty much a sleepless night for me - she seemed better.  Ate some bread we put out for her.  However ten minutes later she is now back to just laying in a corner looking wiped out.  In fact this morning when I went in with the bread she actually flew up at me in her excitement.  Baffling.

We have to take her back for a check up at the vets tonight.  We have had the hens about  five weeks and the vet asked about worming - not sure if the breeder had done that or not so we have ordered wormer which should be in tomorrow. 

Thanks in advance.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: A Hen of Two Extremes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:24 »
Please only feed them layers pellets and mash in the mornings, treats are for late afternoons. This way they should get all their nutrients that they need. Bread also swells up inside them and can lead to problems. What does her comb look like? red, pale, floppy etc. Feel under her wing to see if she feels hot - compare her to one of the others. Is she laying yet? Sometimes when they are having trouble laying and about to lay a soft shell egg they can be off for a few days.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hectorshome

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:55 »
Thanks for your reply.  Her comb was fine and when checked by the vet her temperature was fine too.

Fortunately she is now vastly improved.  Back to her usual self.  We were advised that we should worm all the hens which we are now doing and she is on a course of antibiotics for a week.

Thanks for your guidance too re treats.   This forum is proving invaluable for a newbie hen owner.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59 »
did the vet advise you about not eating her eggs (if she lays any) whilst she is on antibiotics and also for a period after (this varies depending on which antibiotics she is on)?  :D

hectorshome

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 21:10 »
Thanks so much!  This forum is just so useful.  I have books but it is always good to get some first hand knowledge too.  At least I know it is safe to give them a few grapes here and there - they do seem to love them.  Thanks too for the information about bread - we steer clear of that now.  Do give them potato on a regular basis but it is always mashed and well cooked!

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 34 queries.