Pot Bound Agapantha

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

Pot Bound Agapantha
« on: March 20, 2021, 12:04 »
I have  a total pot bound plant, needed help to get it out of container.  No soil, just roots.   What do I do now.
Should I try to split them, if so how, or do I just plant as is into a bigger pot.   If I can split them, I can have more, but it is a solid mass.  And I am weak.      ::)   Thanks   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pot Bound Agapantha
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 12:18 »
They flower better when they are pot bound, so unless they are actually pushing themselves up by the roots, I'd have left them where they were, just giving liquid feeds. As it's already out you have 2 options
Pull or cut it into portions, with a saw if necessary and repot, in smaller pots. or 2 pieces in the old pot.

or, have you got a pot just a little bigger, all round, to repot it, if you really don't think you can split it? In the soil they make huge clumps :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 13:31 »
thanks Mum, I have cut loads of old root off, and tidied it up.  The roots were starting to come out the top.
Replanted into a slightly larger pot, some water, and now its got two chances.    :D  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 05:02 »
Our blue one has been here for thirty years plus, and we think Mrs Growster took some bits off and moved them around the garden, some time ago...

It's not in a pot, but has spread under the hedge which is a good three ft away, and we were (are) considering getting lumps off it in a couple of weeks for new homes, but I really don't know how big the root clump is underground now!!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 15:50 »
Gosh,  I am glad I didn't plant it out.  Good luck ;)  Mrs B

xx
Why not to buy pot bound plants

Started by New shoot on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 22:11
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 44 queries.