Yellowing Fatsia

• 9 Replies

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
Yellowing Fatsia
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:38 »
Hi, I have a Fatsia in a mixed partialy shaded border,its been there for about 4 years but it has started to show yellowing leaves can i do anything to stop the yellowing.I gave it a sprinkle of blood fish & bone last year but that didn't seem to work.Any help gratefully received.Cheers

gobs

Re: Yellowing Fatsia
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 23:31 »
Do you know what kind of Fatsia it is?

Any chance of a photo?

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 14:23 »
hi gobs, Think its japonica ill have a go at putting a pic on.Sorry can't get it to load up jpeg to big .Thanks for replying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 14:30 »
Could it just be dry Muckyboots?  They do like moist soil.

It could also be hungry.  A high nitrogen feed like pelleted chicken manure might help.  A seaweed foliar feed can also perk up sickly plants no end.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 20:59 »
HI new shoot ,the dry situation could be the reason ,my soil is very free draining so ill give it a big mulch and a feed of  sweet and sour chicken,see if that cheers it up.Thanks , cheers.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 21:09 »
hi gobs, Think its japonica ill have a go at putting a pic on.Sorry can't get it to load up jpeg to big .Thanks for replying.

If you try to upload from your computer, newer programmes automatically re-size it. But someone more in the know of forum tech should help you. It is usually useful, a photo tells many things, that you would not even thought of being of any importance, and so on.

There are some possibilities that it has no any prob. Of course, it could have as well.

No any prob situations for example:

- some Japonica's variegated form, they can start to show variegation/extended variegation, as yellowing or even complete yellowing of leaves, which is perfectly normal for them

- they are just shedding some leaves, evergreens also do, for example, typically nowish, mine is losing some leaves, it's normal, they yellow and brown and fall, many new, young leaves on top

Then there can be problem situations, however, many things can cause yellowing of the leaves, we are just guessing here about the simplest commonest things now. But without a photo, it's real guesswork.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 21:04 »
Afore mentioned young leaves are frozen. I don't recall this happening in the last 15 years or so.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 23:16 »
If your fatsia had been in a pot I would have said check for vine weevil.... ours was suffering.

Cold, dry? May well be the problem as suggested. Chicken manure pellets and mulch sounds good to me.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:01 »
Cheers all, i'll wait to see if the feed and water take effect.Someone keeps switching the sun off.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 13:16 »
They are amazingly hardy plants considering their tropical appearance.

Mine always looks sad at the end of winter but, once the warmth arrives, it bursts back into life..... like a monster... boy does it grow big!! :)

clip
Yellowing Fatsia

Started by Elleq on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2020, 20:55
by Elleq
xx
The Fatsia has a New Home

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 16:04
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fatsia Japonica

Started by mobilekat on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 17:13
by mobilekat
xx
Pruning a Fatsia Japonica HELP !!

Started by vegmandan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 12:50
by New shoot

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 39 queries.