Done our good deed for the day!

• 30 Replies

mooie

Re: Done our good deed for the day!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56 »
Thank you for pointing me towards this thread, unfortunately its a bit far for us to travel to. The 3 hours the other day was a one off lol my OH may have a fit if I now ask him to drive to Lincolnshire!

Well done for rescuing the chicks Annie, I do agree with Springlands that maybe it should be her and her hubby locked up in the shed!!
Our set up isn't huge at the moment but we do only have 2 silkies (waiting on the third) but even with just those three banty's I still want to get a bigger set up. Mind you they'll have my whole garden to trash - I mean walk around in soon enough  :lol:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 11:48 »
Oh, Grannie :(

I can't believe people take on such a task without realising what they're doing.
:( and  :mad:

Glad you were there to rescue them

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53 »
How awful!

Really can't understand why people would take on so much so quickly!
Are they seeing the light and rehoming all their animals? SOunds like that would be a wise move given how they treat them. I would trade them the ducks for something they can manage a bit better. Something like a pet rock?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 13:07 »
These kind of people just do my head in!   >:( >:(  Right!  Those Silkies need rescued next!  Heaven only knows how she is keeping those poor things.  Your newbies must think they are in hen heaven!  You're a good sort, you are! ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 13:17 »
are they arter rehoming the geese and if so are these geese young? After our visit by the thieves I wouldn't mind a couple of geese around (even if they are eating poohing machines  :lol:).
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 13:26 »
That would be good - maybe I won't phone tonight, though.....

Haven't quite understood the PM thing so I'll leave you to do that - I assume it will appear in my email?

Yes MM, you will get an email saying you have a Private Message, or when you come onto the forum, just look towards the top where it says ManicMum, you have xxx messages, x are new.  Click on that and you'll see the message.  Sorry didn't get round to it last night!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 15:36 »
Here's a couple of pics.  not very good as the little s**s dears wouldn't stand still!  The bigger ones she said are from last July, but they are a mixture, so not sure where they came from!
IMG_0990 (600 x 450).jpg
IMG_0991 (500 x 375).jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 15:40 »
But the younger ones still won't venture out of the house, so I think they've been inside all the time!
IMG_0992 (500 x 375).jpg

wildwitchy

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 18:08 »
But the younger ones still won't venture out of the house, so I think they've been inside all the time!

and all these were in a bath?????????  :blink: :mad:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 22:52 »
Not sure exactly how many chicks she had in the bath witchy, but she said that of the first lot of day olds from last July, the first 20 sold quickly, and we took the final 12.  then of the November day olds, again she said the first 20 went quickly, and we had the final 20, so in November, she had at least 40 chicks in the bath!

But an update, sorry ManicMum, but the springer was re-homed that afternoon after we went home, but she'd had him for 3 years!  stuck in a run, and another lady I know from freecycle bought 4 silkies from her, so I must have brought her some luck that day!

And sorry Joy, I got it wrong, it was just a trio of ducks she wanted to sell, no geese!! 

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 23:14 »
That's fine - glad the dog has gone on to better things!!  It's very sad when people end up taking on more animals than they have time/energy/knowledge to care for properly, whether it is done with commercial intentions or through kindness and a desire to help others.

I know how hard it is to resist the urge to agree to take on......whatever, but you have to look at the prospect with head as well as heart for the sake of the animal.  So I'm glad the lady managed to reduce her collection of beasts rather than running into neglect through over-crowding.
ManicMum

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18 »
the trouble is these people never learn and replace them again just to end up in the same position  :(.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 14:23 »
I'm no expert, but those young hens look like Rhoddies to me.  I hope they get brave enough to come outside soon! 

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 16:46 »
Part Rhodie LRH, they are Babcock B380's.  We have 59 almost 4 week old Babcock chicks.  They are a bit darker than the warren or other brown hybrids, looking more like their RIR parent.  Columbian blacktails look similar.

Apparently the Babcoks are not so easy to get hold of. The hatchery we use sell all the ones they hatch to people who rear for Stonegate eggs now!

I only got some, because they like me!!   :) :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 18:34 »
so in November, she had at least 40 chicks in the bath!

My god  :ohmy: I just cannot imagine that. The poor little things. Some people just havent got no idea. My current girls, I rescued from someone. The couple had split up & the woman hadn't fed them for 3 days & previous to that only on bits of bread for a week! Their water containers were empty.  :( The shed was full of muck. Unfortunatly I couldnt save 2 of the leghorns but the others survived with TLC & a good dose of baytril as they were all chesty & got upset tummies.

xx
Foul Deed in the Fowl Pen

Started by Thrift on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 12:03
by pigeonpie
xx
Good to eat?

Started by Paul Plots on Chicken Chat

30 Replies
Last post January 12, 2013, 19:40
by Paul Plots
xx
Looking good so far!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 12:55
by Pol
xx
So far so good

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 29 queries.