permission for chickens?

• 44 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: permission for chickens?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 18:16 »
avian flu is more likley to be defra, I think.

environmental health deal with nuisance issues, including noise and rats etc, so that will be their remit.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 19:47 »
Very useful replies, thankyou. I would like to add that there were rats around here long before we got the chickens, but if anyone wanted to be awkward we would have difficulty proving it!  lol. A lot of people feed the birds and that alone attracts rats. So far no-one has complained, and there is a steady queue at the gate for eggs, so I suppose we would have to cross that bridge if it were to ever arise. Tatty x

Tania

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 23:24 »
Hi,

I have kept my chooks and ducks for 2 years and looked into ' permission' before hand. Chickens are not classed as Livestock therefore any legilslation appicable to livestock doesn't apply to chooks. I also found out that there are no laws in relation to keeping chooks or ducks in your own home. Basically common sense prevails, so if you live in a high rise flat then it is not sensible to keep chooks, however, if you are in your own house then its fine. Good practice would be to sound out your neighbours and give them a few eggs. ( and don't keep 10 cockerals!!). I love mine and my neighbours wouldmuch rather her my boy crow than listen to a dog bark 24/7. Good luck and have fun cos they are so addictive xxx

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 23:32 »
 In our area you are not allowed to keep cockerals in the garden  ;) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 09:43 »
This is the thing that i dont understand about rats,  i know we have rats round here as i saw one a few houses up underneath a car,  thing is as you drive down my road to get to my house the amount of houses that have bird feeders out and fat balls hanging off there front garden trees is amazing, surley these are the biggest ways to attract rats and all sorts.   Even people that keep a rabbit in a hutch in their back garden may attract rats, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the person keeping a couple of chickens in the back garden would get the blame, just because youve got chooks doesnt necessarly mean your gonna attract rats, im sure lots of people on here that have some girlies have never seen rats, it has to be down to good husbandry.
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Flowerpower136

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 10:53 »
Not just new builds restrict chooks.  My parents house, 1930s detached in a crescent which orignally had a central common area (now individual gardens), specifically prohibits chooks.

wildwitchy

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 22:20 »
I have no problem keeping my poultry at home (my own ex council house/private). I want to put some chucks on my allotment & the other plot holders & the allotment officer doesn't want me to put them on there incase it encourages vandals to come over and vandalise other peoples plots, Or if they escape, eat other peoples crops & various other obsticles..............The rules do say I can have them on the lottie.

smee4454

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 16:20 »
AMCKEEN !!!!!    :D

I can't PM you to ask you more advice about the chickens and Covenants.....  any chance you can email me ???   

Goldfinger

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 20:56 »
My update to this thread is, as some already know...........

They're here!!!!!

Had our 4 girls nearly 2 weeks now (come Saturday)  :D :D

We've been expecting at least something to have been said by now, cos they were a bit noisy for the first two days (settling in I guess) but we've had the opposite... Caught our neighbour talking to them from their upstairs window when they were out on the lawn for their first time, the neighbour got a small fright when they saw me laughing at them...  :D

lisa123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 15:33 »
hi there i live in the dudley bourough council and asked my council if i could keep chickens. i told them they were rescue hens and they sent me a diagram of what i should be keeping them in and how far off floor etc. so hopefully they will be okay with you.  :D
Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener

amckeen

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 21:37 »
Another couple of things to note on the matter of the restrictive covenants I talked about earlier:

It is up to the person with the benefit of the covenant (the person who doesn't want to be disturbed by noisy critters, etc) to enforce the restriction.  So, if the covenant was first written in a deed way back in 1930 or something there is a good chance that original seller (who had the benefit) is no longer around.  A neighbour who objected wouldn't necessarily be able to do anything unless they happened to know who the successor to that original beneficiary is.

If the covenant is from a newer deed - like if you have bought under a Right to Buy scheme from a Housing Association or Council; or if you are renting from the same organisation - then you may have a chance.  Those transfers or leases tend to be of a standard format with entries in them designed to cover all sorts of situations so that a whole new deed does not have to drawn up forevey sale or tenancy.  It would definitely be worth contacting the seller or landlord and asking for either the covenant to be modified/cancelled (this is a legal matter but not complicated) or for permission if renting.

In such a request give as much information as possible (set-up,number of birds, etc) and if you can try and find other local henkeepers who could provide a statement, including their neighbours who could possible vouch for how quiet hens really are (roosters are, of course, a different matter).

Anyway, I hope this helps.  As I said earlier pm me if you want any specific info that I can help with.

Now I have to go put my girls to bed - they do like to watch the sunset.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 21:39 by amckeen »

loopilizzi

• Thelma and Weez
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 20:02 »
Oh plz don't say i need permission from council... :(
I have just adopted 2 hens from my friend who bought them about 6 weeks ago.......she asked me to take them on as she was allergic to there feathers
I did this without even thinking.. i was so excited about owning some chooks  :D
I live in a council property so am a little worried now, as even though i have only owned them for a week today.. i'd hate to have to let them go.. there so lovely my garden wouldn't be the same without them  :blush:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 12:39 »
Loopi

Phone your council and ask to speak to planning then ask if there are any restrictions on keeping chickens at home . it's unlikely there are but worth asking. When I contacted our lot I ended up speaking to the animal welfare officer All he said was don't keep cockerals cos of the noise.

BTW chook keeping is addictive LOL
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

loopilizzi

• Thelma and Weez
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 12:51 »
Thanks Celtic,
I did what you suggested..phoned the council yesterday and had quite a cool conservation with him.. he told me i was ok for now, but not to keep cockrels as they make so much noise.
PHEW!! thank gawd i don't have to let them go!

Livinhope

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 19:19 »
What is it with these people who don't like the sound of cockerels and chickens when they live in the country.  As far as I'm concerned if you don't like it go back to the town and the exhaust emmisions.   If they lived near a farm would they get anywhere complaining about the farm chicken and cocks....... I doubt it. 

Also what about the keeping of chickens, and rabbits (heaven forbid), as meat, that goes back into the mists of time and is apparently allowed on allotments as an ancient right.  As regards the rats we wouldn't have any if our neighbours didn't throw food on the ground for the birds.

xx
Do we look after ourselves as well as our chickens?

Started by Lindeggs on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 01:09
by Lindeggs
xx
New Chickens

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 16:04
by Chicken_Lover
wink
How do your chickens go to bed?

Started by Bev on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 19:34
by Stree
xx
My chickens

Started by bordercreek on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:32
by bordercreek

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.