Jerusalem Artichokes

• 12 Replies

USC

Jerusalem Artichokes
« on: July 03, 2010, 21:34 »
Hi Guys,

I've just taken over a plot with an abundance of Jerusalem Artichokes on it already.  They are approx. 4ft tall and I dug one up which seemed ok from the outside but was a bit on the hollow side when split open.

Are these still okay and when should they be harvested?  Please

All advice welcome.

Doug

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 22:37 »
Harvets time will be Nov time. Remove any flowers that form over summer. Cut back the plant to about a ft when ready to harvest. You can leave the tubers int he ground until you are ready to use them.
Woooooooooooooo

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 23:02 »
All I'll say is, eat them with caution if you haven't tried them before.  You'll soon find out if you're one of those people for whom they cause... erm... digestive issues. 

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:36 »
As childeren J. artichokes were one of the few veg we queued up to eat due to the after effects lol
The humour still hasnt worn off at 38 he he

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:40 »
When giving Jerusalem Artichokes to guests, its normally best to only feed to people who are not staying over!- unless it someone who is a bit 'snooty' who you are looking after only because you have too.....
My aunt is pone to feeding them liberally to people if she likes one half of the couple!- especially if you start the meal with an nice bowl of artichoke soup, as by about 10.30 the affects begin- helps encourage people to go home!

There are some that reckon they are not good to eat if you are diabetic as the 'after affects' are caused by them having high levels of insulin in them!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

gillie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:55 »
Not insulin, inulin .  Which is an indigestible fibre that causes the interesting side effect.

Gillie

titch

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:09 »
I got given some by a neighbouring plot holder, she did not tell me about this effect!! Is it all noise? Or is there a little (coughs) gift after too?? This is important, as if its the latter I may avoid eating them!!!
just keep breathing................

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 00:05 »
Tried them - don't like them, can't get of of 'em. I'll clean the area as much as possible and then plant with more Comfrey which is far more useful. Another spot of JAs will be covered by a large compost dalek to black them out.

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01 »
I may be wrong but if you add spice asofetida it counteracts the effect I have loads in the garden and on the plot that I give away as I don't like them.

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 23:33 »
I may be wrong but if you add spice asofetida it counteracts the effect I have loads in the garden and on the plot that I give away as I don't like them.
I think you may be mistaken. I tried that in a batch of soup (someone also said that carrots would help). No such luck. I spent the night with chronic stomach pains and the window wide open. Personally I'd dig them up, burn the plants, then napalm the plot. After that, replace the top 3 metres of soil and grow cress instead.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 20:18 »
titch - all wind and no substance in my experience

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 20:24 »
They allow you to imitate Joseph Pujol though!

Alec_Macpherson

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 20:45 »
I've been consuming the paste from two teaspoons of slippery elm power at night for a while now.  J. artichokes have *nothing* on that.

The party was in full swing. The banner with the legend “Goodebye Windle 130 Gloriouse Years” was dripping a bit in the heat. Things were getting to the point where there was nothing to drink but the punch and nothing to eat but the strange yellow dip with the highly suspicious tortillas and nobody minded. The wizards chatted with the forced jolliness of people who see one another all day and are now seeing one another all evening.

{...}

“Another sausage, then?”
“What?”
“Sausage!”
“They give me terrible gas all night,” said Windle.
He considered this for a moment, and then took five.

Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett.
Tra-la-la-li-la.

xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by Runnerbean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2008, 20:16
by Runnerbean
xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 23:59
by Mazzie
xx
jerusalem artichokes

Started by Losttheplot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2007, 18:44
by Mysteryjimbo
xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 10:54
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 35 queries.