Harvesting squash

• 7 Replies

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
Harvesting squash
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:19 »
Hi everyone can any one tell me the best time to harvest my squash is it when leaves die back growing festive crown prince and kuri thank you

rowlandwells

Re: Harvesting squash
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 16:58 »
we usually harvest all our squashes at the end of September both pumpkins and butternut squash and spare marrows are stored in the greenhouse till we get time to cut them up and put some in the freezer for future use

we find that squashes  usually last on the greenhouse bench till around Christmas befor going bad we also found keeping them apart without touching each othere also helps storage

unfortunatly this year was a bad year for growing buternut squash with one thing and another   but we had a good crop of marrows not as many as last year we also gave some marrows to our friends hope this info helps you

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 19:26 »
Wait until the squash has hardened off and the stem is hard / sounds hollow when tapped.  Cut it off with a decent amount of stem.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 20:04 »
Thanks I’ll check them out😀👍

Florain

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 21:19 »
I always wash mine off with a weak solution of Milton to remove any mold spores, dry, then store on a sunny windowsill for a few weeks to mature and harden the skin. After that they go on the spare room windowsill or in the garage.

Wilf

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 14:55 »
Hey, I am having the same conundrum with mine, some of mine are small some a little larger... do I pick them no matter the size at the end of Oct? Pics attached... cheers all
E1C59261-9C1C-4CCE-B9F3-D1F2DD0063D0.jpg
D66555F1-64F2-4589-A78F-E315453FE69C.jpeg
2DCB5612-EA82-4AB8-9A69-826B11DCE338.jpeg

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 15:48 »
Hey, I am having the same conundrum with mine, some of mine are small some a little larger... do I pick them no matter the size at the end of Oct? Pics attached... cheers all

Once butternuts go from green to their proper colour they are finished growing .
Cut them with as much stalk as possible and store in a sunny frost free place (turning occasionally) and they can keep as long as May next year.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 15:53 »
I always wash mine off with a weak solution of Milton to remove any mold spores, dry, then store on a sunny windowsill for a few weeks to mature and harden the skin. After that they go on the spare room windowsill or in the garage.

Mould spores are always present in the air, any sterilisation will last a few days at best and is not needed if the squash is stored in the sun ( kills mould spores or keeps them dormant) on a well ventilated frost free rack .

xx
Harvesting little gem squash

Started by jb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 23:32
by jb
xx
Butternut Squash Harvesting

Started by Avocetboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 21:07
by sunshineband
xx
Harvesting Hokkaido squash?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2021, 14:10
by Nobbie
xx
Harvesting Spaghetti Squash

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 00:55
by Annie

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 35 queries.