What is everybody doing at this time of year?

• 30 Replies

adekun

• http://www.adekun.com
« on: December 18, 2006, 08:55 »
I've been watching my onions become submerged, from indoors. I did manage to transplant some strawberries at the start of the month.
I'd like to hear what everybody else is doing around this time.

:?
growing vegetables in japan, recipes and info | adekun's japan blog

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:10 »
Im fighting a bitter battle against tree roots, stones and compacted earth to double dig a new potato patch. Ive now got it looking like a miniature drift mine.

Got me soft fruit bushes to put in though as well

other than that im growing cress in two small trays full of cotton wool and waiting for me mushrooms to be big enough to eat
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 14:49 »
I'm battleing with drainage, pulling up roots (switchgrass I think) and I'll be finishing off my fence this week as well as helping old Jim with his.

I'm hoping someone on our site can spare me a few brussels, just for the old seasonal treat. If not though I can still buy them pretty fresh.

My home brew turned out really good, off topic though, think I'll post a piccy.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 17:31 »
as little as possible, my s/ disk isnt quite right yet.
hoping to get the galley slave (long suffering wife, Jo ) to give me a hand to move shed and build its extension.
next years potato patch needs rotavating...plenty of time yet..
after Christmas, i hope to get some red baron onions in.
sleep, eat and watch crumby films on the box.
thats about the lot, methinks. :lol:

shaun

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 21:17 »
done nothing for a couple of weeks been far to wet,
1 when the weather breaks i need to build a couple more compost bins for all the leaves ive been collecting,
2 get to the local manure guy and order another load of muck
3 flag a path down one side of the plots
4 finish digging away the giant mound of topsoil/compost and spread it everywhere
5 make a raised bed for my herb garden
6 decorate the kitchen but that can wait  :D
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

noshed

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 21:28 »
Speading compost
Reorganising paths
pruning
building some beds where it's a bit confusing for the vague
perfecting details of my greenhouse
making sure the pub is keeping the beer properly
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 21:42 »
Quote from: "shaun"
6 decorate the kitchen but that can wait  :D

now, now, lets not get carried away! :D

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 23:06 »
finished on my plots ,just watching my Christmas veggies sweeten up ready , goose was still wandering around at 7 am when i opened up the sheds ,she and 3 of her mates joined each other in a hanging about sesi0on in the cold store by 745am 4 geese 6 capons  6 normal well fed chickens 1 guinea fowl and a couple of norfolk black turkeys all plucked on the bigham by 9.30  am cooling down  days werk done in a couple hours i had  to go on a shoot meeting up at the second drive of the morning . my first job on meeetin them was to bollock a gun for low shooting .he though he had got away with it and didnt see me at the back making my way across the field ,the beaters were fortunate that they was not closer to the wood edge , had tey been someone could well have been blinded for Christmas . fining him £50  he payed up with a humph complaint ,i did remind him that had the beaters been hit he would have been dismissed from the field with no recompense . a long hard freezing day ended  none to soon for my liking 3.30pm saw me paying all the beaters there £20 and a brace  wishing them who i would not see till next year a happy holiday , i then found to my delight that someone had shot the white pheasant and she had been fined £25 also so i was £75 up for the day , so making sure the 200 birds and 10 mixed was hung to cool and be ready for morning i left to come home, thats when my troubles started .driving over a small flood at henstead ford i saw to my disbelief a ffffff lunatic in a daeoo flash by to close and then splash water so dfar up my car i saw nothing as i left the road on my side driving into a drainage cut in the verge  my right wheel slamming into the rut  . the ass who put me there  stopped on the other side of the ford ,out got a kid of 17 yrs . apologising that he hadnt passed his test long etc etc etc he offered to help me get the car out which we did .my front end right side crunched in just the wing .easy to pull out so i could get on my way . swapping details  i got home 45 mins late . i called the garage to come and check the damage . thats easy he said i can do that by morning .. £75  he asked .. bang goes my blooming bonus ... :x  and my grand daughter asks did u have fun nandad ?/ :roll:
still alive /............

jingerpot

what are you doing at this time of the year
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 23:31 »
Hi everyone I havent been on the site much this year but have been keeping an eye on what others are doing.  Good reading and lots of smiles had from that !   Well I am doing what most others seem to be doing.........reorganising my paths, managed to get new strawberry plants in before the frost started, praying a lot for dryer days to finish the digging, got the onions and broad beans in the end of last month.  Been babysitting quite a bit as grandson had a cold (how come they only want you on dry sunny days?) Oh and as I hail originally from the North East cleaning everything in the house for new year as we  believe that if the house is clean it stays that way all the year.  
Well it might ONE of these years........ :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 00:22 »
Still waiting for the ground to dry up a bit so I can carry on digging my plot.  Got to get in the polytunnel and clear the last of the tomato plants.  I'm leaving a few chillie plants for now as they are fruiting again, but need to get it all dug over and covered to keep it warm, oh and got to manure it.  Then must get last year's compost heap moved.  lovely bit of soil now and replace the bricks and get another one started.

Trying to wish lots of growth on my brussels which are bonsai's, and my new potatoes and carrots which are in pots in the polytunnel.

Another reason for not doing much out there is that I've been crossstitching the grandchildren's Christmas cards.  Got the last one finished today, and now all posted off.

milkman

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 09:25 »
Not doing very much at all except harvesting from the plot and garage store, so am in grave danger of looking plumper than the turkey at this rate!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 09:39 »
Wondering if it will dry up enough to finish digging over and why Val's still got begonias flowering in the garden,
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Annie

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 10:44 »
Still harvesting.Last of the chillis out.Watching sprouting brocolli,some got terminal aphids so 2 best plants left and the have now developed strong leaf growth so fingers crossed.Have put down wood shreddings on the paths,manured and covered empty beds.Some paths still to dig and OH is going to build some very deep beds for hot beds.Have now to go into the mist and move some rocket which is growing strongly outside,it should have finished as it is in a pot that we stand our Christmas tree in.Once I`ve cleaned the house from top to bottom(In law arrival iminent),I will sit back and enjoy Christmas.No rain forcast so I may just slip out and potter in the garden .

milkman

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 10:48 »
it's funny how you develop the urge to clean the house thoroughly from top to bottom when the in-laws are imminent - I have to do the same thing.

Annie

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 10:55 »
It`s the unspoken criticism or the fear they might peer behind the setee,I don`t bother if my relatives come.That`s on top of the fact that you are also somehow responsible for buying in law presies!.

xx
This time last year

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 19:47
by scattygirl
xx
what to sow at this time of year?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 13:01
by mumofstig
xx
This time next year...

Started by Only1Dionne on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 16:29
by Poolfield2
xx
Best time of the year

Started by greenfingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 21:04
by muntjac

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 39 queries.