Flood Help!!!

• 4 Replies

Ramundo

Flood Help!!!
« on: December 14, 2010, 16:30 »
i have a problem with my plot, as soon as the bad weather kicks in the ground becomes compleatly water loged, in some spots its about 3inchs above ground level and in others i end up with what could be classed as a small pond :( it then takes all year to get it dry and usable inwhich i get about 2-3 months worth of growing before it happens again. i tried to raise the land with more soil and in some areas its helpped a little this year but does anyone know of any kind of solution then will stop this happening? thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Flood Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 20:40 »
That's a tricky one.  A little more info may help us:

Is it just your plot, or others nearby too?
Are you at the bottom of a slope?
What's your soil made up of?  Mainly clay?
Is there a stream, river, road culvert or drain nearby which is overflowing?

Flooding can be caused by several things, such as a high water table or a 'pan' under the surface - a compacted layer of soil or clay, sometimes caused by mechanical cultivation, through which the water cannot drain.

Raised beds often help, although if it's a pan then digging to break it up would help.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

kenny199

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 18:24 »
one site I was on several years ago had a similar problem and the council got a tractor with a post hole borer on the back and bored some 12 inch holes in the plot and pour a lot of pea shingle in and it seemed to work.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 14:40 »
thats what i would suggest,  digging a trench and putting pea gravell in or trying to trench the water to a area where it can drain away similar to a land drain ;)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

grinling

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 22:35 »
It really depends on what is around you. I have a natural spring under mine as well as it flattening off in the middle. As there is a pond area opp me I was able with help to dig 2 channels at least 2 spades deep through the plot and through the path. Filled with pea shingle and backfilled. The heavy clay soil has gotten better, but more work will be done on the middle section. You can buy plastic as well as clay pipes, but  you do need an area for the water to go.
If council owned see if they can help. If double digging you may need to go deeper, bribe people to help.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 34 queries.