Training a cherry tree into fan shape

• 5 Replies

devon

Training a cherry tree into fan shape
« on: April 07, 2013, 16:49 »
Has anybody ever trained a cherry tree into fan shape. Got given a tree for Mothers Day . It's planted in my garden now . I was thinking about seeing what happened this year fruit wise and planned to cut back and shape after fruiting Good idea or not Any advice welcome

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Training a cherry tree into fan shape
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 21:52 »
I think it's quite important to cut back the leader to encourage side branches in the right place while the tree is still quite young. I bought a young tree, can't remember how old but I don't think more than a couple of years, which had been started into an espalier, and if you cut the leader when it was much older than that I think you might struggle to get the shape right. According to my Hessayon book you can buy a 2 or 3 year old part-trained tree or start from scratch with a maiden tree.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:11 »
Two considerations: First- What is the rootstock? That will determine the size of the mature tree. You may have been given a dwarf rootstock in which case there may be no need to train. Second-How old is the tree?
A maiden tree is basically a single stem, whilst a 2 yr old will have lateral branches. I don't think a cherry tree needs much pruning. So to train it put up a frame of two vertical posts with a horizontal support to tie the branches to get the desired shape.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

devon

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 14:03 »
I would say that the tree is 2-3 years old.  The tree i choose looked like it would shape into a fan eg well spaced branches etc .The info link was really useful and it appears I got a good shaped tree. Thank you for all your advice

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 16:26 »
you may know this but do not prune any stone fruit tree eg Cherry or plum until summer - May June is recommended to avoid silver leaf virus that is around in winter months.
I have pruned plums to fans and cherries should be similar so should not be difficult, follow directions and go steady -- you do not have to achieve final product in one season.
R

clip
How do I prune my cherry into a nice bush/vase shape?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 21:31
by Madame Cholet
xx
Training cherry trees

Started by echinaceablue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 19:14
by echinaceablue
xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd
xx
peach tree training

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2015, 16:29
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 30 queries.