Advice on broody please

• 11 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« on: April 17, 2008, 21:25 »
Hi
My persistently broody girl (Princess Snow White) is....... guess what..... BROODY AGAIN  :roll: .  Anyway I have decided to let her hatch a small brood.  I am after Australorp bantams, but in the mean time is it important to get her on some eggs?  I have currently cleared any eggs from under her.  I have been told I should sacrifice a few eggs to make sure she sits.  Is it important to have the same number of dummy eggs as the real eggs sor an easy swap?
Any help gratefully received!
Ness

Bodger

Advice on broody please
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:55 »
As long as she has some eggs of some description while you try and locate and obtain the eggs you want her to sit on, thats all that matters. Chickens can't count, so numbers don't matter.

ness

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:17 »
Thanks Bodger - I hadn't thought of the fact that chickens cant count!  :oops:
She's currently sitting on 3 unfertile eggs (which are her own, I was loath to sacrifice proper eggs because neither she nor her sisiter are laying but needs must!) and shes sitting really tight. :D
Hoping to get some fertile eggs on tuesday  :D  :D
Fingerscrossed it all goes to plan!  
No doubt I will be back with daft questions about candling and the like! :wink:

Rzlty

Advice on broody please
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:38 »
Hi there, just a word on the chickens can't count observation. I've found that mine can count up to two and anything over that is lots!! This is based on the fact that if I leave anything less than three eggs in their nest, then they get upset and move the nest. Three eggs left or more and they continue laying there.
So I think you've left the perfect number under her.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:07 »
Rztly...I think I've read that they like odd numbers and will sit on odd numbers of eggs if left to their own devices. Apparently they're easier to arrange, turn etc. I have found that my peacocks always lay odd numbers of eggs so maybe there's something in the odd number suggestion! The doves only lay 2 but maybe they're different as they brood small numbers?
Still nice to think of the hens counting...getting to 2 and then....! :wink:

Judi

woodburner

Advice on broody please
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 15:15 »
There's always china eggs, golf balls or even small potatoes as substitutes ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

ness

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 16:35 »
Thanks I just borrowed 2 golf balls from my mum and hadn't thought of a small potato as an egg substitute!!  May swap the unfertilised eggs for 2 golfballs and a potato tonight, will the eggs still be ok to eat - they've only been under since last night?

Lifted her off twice today to eat, drink and poo she manages to leave her eggs for 5 mins (rosey all the time) then she pegs it back.  Shes taking it seriously at the mo!  Just hope it lasts!

Bodger

Advice on broody please
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 16:39 »
If she's broody on two eggs now, she's quite happy and I'd leave well alone and certainly wouldn't go putting spuds underneath her. Leave her to it until you are ready to put the hatching eggs under her is my advice.
They might not be able to count but they certainly know what a Murphy is. :lol:

ness

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 20:43 »
Oh no I'd already swapped the golf balls and potato before I read your post!  I've just been to check on her and she's happily brooding the golfballs but the tatty's a no no (it was a bit big!)  I guess she's not a total airhead!

woodburner

Advice on broody please
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 22:50 »
Lol an old hand suggested tatties to me and not having anything else to hand I tried it and it worked but then again they are silkies, and will try and incubate pretty much whatever is in the nest :tongue2:  :lol:

ness

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 07:36 »
I reckon it might have worked if I'd had a smaller potato  :oops:.  I was surprised that she took to the golfballs they liked less egglike than the potato!

Anyway she's now happily sitting on her 2 golfballs and 1 egg now - waiting for the real thing to arrive on tuesday.  :D  :D

Shes a star and doesn't even peck me when I lift her off for her comfort breaks!  Lots of growling though!!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Advice on broody please
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 11:12 »
Interesting that hens can't tell an egg from a potato!! My doves are laying prolifically so I'm taking the eggs and substituting for crock pigeon eggs. BUT...the older birds can tell the crock eggs and reject them..!  :o They have a fine ridge round and I think they can feel it...I warm them and roll them in the nest material but they're obviously cleverer than hens!! :lol:

Judi

xx
Broody advice

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 10:43
by Vember
xx
Broody need advice.

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:09
by chuckmum
xx
broody advice

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2015, 14:55
by grinling
xx
Advice on broody hen please

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 23:31
by sarajane

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 31 queries.