Carpal tunnel operation

• 17 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Carpal tunnel operation
« on: July 27, 2020, 12:02 »
At long last, following a postponement due to my late wife's illness, I have an operation to decompress my carpal tunnel next month. It's on my right hand and as I'm right-handed and live alone, I'm a bit apprehensive as to how I'll cope with everyday tasks like food-preparation, housework, home-security, showering and other aspects of personal hygeine. As several of the forum members have apparently undergone this treatment, are there any tips they can pass on please?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 14:51 by AlaninCarlisle »

mrs bouquet

Re: Carpal tunnel operation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 15:11 »
I am the same as you.  I have told them I don't want it until end October, so that I don't have to worry about the garden.  But like you, I am anxious about the management because I am alone as well.  Paper plates come to mind, the micro-wave and eating out of the container,  hair under the kitchen tap, one handed to wash rinse and rub dry.    And just go dirty   :lol: :lol:    We will find a way.  I am also worried about my rash, how will I be able to scratch it.    When you know the answers let me know as well.    Failing all that, a cruise comes to mind.    :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 15:54 »
I had an operation for Duputren's contracture on my right hand just before lockdown this year, and the type of bandaging used to immobilise my hand after surgery looks similar to what is used after carpal tunnel surgery (i.e. a stiff bandage with not much more than the top joint of the fingers showing, although yours will no doubt extend further along your wrist than mine did.)

Without going into too much detail :) I did practise doing essential daily tasks left handed before the op - people will obviously vary as to how much potential they have for opposite-handedness, but practising will definitely make the most of whatever you have.

Best tip for bathing and washing up activities is to have a supply of freezer bags of appropriate size to cover the bandage with a bit to spare, and elastic bands to secure them (when I say 'them', I mean use two - I didn't and got a puncture!  :ohmy:  :nowink:)

Got by OK, and the bandage did become a bit less tight towards the end of the two weeks which gave a little more movement in my fingers, but oh boy, was I glad to get the damned thing off?!  :wacko:

Good luck!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MrsPea

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 18:37 »
How about having both hands done at the same time ?? i did. I came out with 2 boxing hands all wrap up luckily i had my mum and my husband to help. I can tell you, you soon adapted bandages don't stay on long
Good luck  :)

I Love my green house

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 22:12 »
I’d advise lots of batch cooking prior to the op. Plastic bags as Jay says & maybe organise offspring to take turns to help on a rota.  Condolences on the death of your wife, must be particularly difficult in these times
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 11:25 »
I imagine . that the first three days are the hardest so among my plans are half a dozen ready-made sandwichs in the fridge. My daily medication pills in 3 or 4 small boxes, one for each day. House immaculate, well by my untidy standards anyway, with all cleaning jobs done beforehand. Ditto lawns, laundry etc. Ready-made meals that just need micro-waved and can be eaten with a fork or spoon. Polo shirts only as no buttons.
Feeding the dogs and pony should be straightforward. Use electric razor instead of wet shave. Plastic bags to cover hand when washing dishes or taking a shower
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:14 by AlaninCarlisle »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 11:52 »
Oh, my goodness, you are so well organised it should be a breeze for you.    I have not given as much thought to it yet as October is while off.  Please do let me know how it all goes, and any other tips you find useful.
I wish you all the best for a speedy outcome,    regards    Mrs Bouquet

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 12:17 »
One further thought. I'll buy a pair of jogging pants to save all that left-handed faffing about with belt and buttons etc. Hate them but I won't be going out anywhere

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 09:40 »
Just a brief update to try and reassure anyone else who needs this operation. My appointment was at 2pm yesterday. I was seen at 2.01, the operation was totally painless and I was discharged at 2.25pm with a full set of instructions on aftercare. The bandage covers my palm and wrist only with fingers and thumb totally free so there are hardly any tasks that are beyond me.

Since discharge I've needed just two doses of two paracetamol tablets, one at 10pm on the day of the operation and the other after my breakfast the day after the op (today) at 8am. Im advised to remove the bandage after 48 hours and was given three adhesive sterile strips to apply if necessary during the first week only.

So far, job's a good un
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:26 by AlaninCarlisle »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 15:01 »
Much less bother than Dupuytren''s op (although neither would be even better!  :wacko:)

Would have saved you some bother if you'd known how quickly you'd be able to use your hand again...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 15:11 »
Glad to hear it's all going so well AiC  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 15:30 »
Pleased you’re doing so well

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 18:16 »
Great news Alan.  So pleased it went so well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 16:28 »
Now nearly 3 weeks since the operation. Feeling is slowly returning to the fingers and thumb of the operated-on hand, more feeling than prior to operation so some success. Am expecting total feeling to be gradual in returning.
To anyone planning this operation, the inconvenience is minor but don't expect instant results

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 17:51 »
I'm glad to hear you are doing well Alan  :) 

It sounds like you are making steady progress, even if it is a little slower than you hoped for.

xx
Carpal tunnel operation

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post December 18, 2018, 13:55
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Carpal Tunnel

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2019, 08:58
by New shoot
xx
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2018, 13:58
by sunshineband
xx
Carpal Tunnel Op Practicing !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2021, 12:50
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 55 queries.