Japanese Knotweed :(

• 16 Replies

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« on: October 14, 2008, 19:21 »
Urgh found two nice big clumps of the stuff at the top of my garden. :(

Got my work cut out with these two nasties i think.

Anyone got any ideas as to how i start to clear them?

Thanks.

Steve

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 19:30 »
Look on the Environment Agency website for the best advice on this monster.
Cheese makes everything better.

naturesparadise

FCG

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 20:08 »
Do as the Americans do, go nuclear.

Local allotments had an infestation and from what i can gleam from someone i talked to on their he nuked it with diluted sodium choloride.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 22:47 »
I give mine a good dose of Clinic Ace everytime it rears its ugly little head.  Its not cheap, and not always easy to get and its lethal, so be careful.

The chap oon the TV the other night was saying they cut it to about 1 foot off the ground and inject the weed killer inside the hollow stems.  But mine don't get that high before I start!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 22:54 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
I give mine a good dose of Clinic Ace everytime it rears its ugly little head.  Its not cheap, and not always easy to get and its lethal, so be careful.

The chap oon the TV the other night was saying they cut it to about 1 foot off the ground and inject the weed killer inside the hollow stems.  But mine don't get that high before I start!!!!

Horrible stuff
Im just about to do a woodland management project for college and the wood we are assessing has just started to get ONE patch of this evil weed.
Everyone else was advising in their plan to 'stop the campfires, increase biodiversity by this and that' etc etc

I said 'get that stuff OUT before it takes serious hold and eats budget money for years to come'
One student said..its good for bees though! ARGHHHHH!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 23:09 »
Good for bees?????  Did you see the bit on TV about it?  Seems to be taking over part of the West Country, around Launceston I think they said, all up the river!!

That's something the Victorians did for us that wasn't very good!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 23:23 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Good for bees?????  Did you see the bit on TV about it?  Seems to be taking over part of the West Country, around Launceston I think they said, all up the river!!

That's something the Victorians did for us that wasn't very good!!!!

This has been introduced via the river too.  I said" Good for bees?????"myself?! "Can you think of anything and I mean anything else that may be just as good?!!"

We also have a gorgeous Hall (Towneley) and grounds near us too, where knotweed is taking a slow hold due to funding restrictions.  One of the other students is doing a full investigative project on it, (to be submitted to various external checks that may be taken seriously hopefully) just to reinforce the need to get rid of this stuff.

Paula

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:46 »
Interesting article in yesterday's Daily Mirror, (I don't buy it - saw it at Mother's).

Not sure how long this link will remain...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/10/14/the-tiny-insect-that-could-save-britain-from-eco-crisis-115875-20801814/
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

garddwr

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:21 »
Remember not to put it in your compost bin or council green waste bin as you can get terrible fines.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:25 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
Remember not to put it in your compost bin or council green waste bin as you can get terrible fines.

Is there such a thing as a good fine? :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:33 »
Just diverting slightly, in Jersey they have problems with an invasive mesembryanthemum, locally known now as the 'Jersey Fig'.

Imported from South Africa during the Victorian era, the residents soon found that they took over their gardens, so they did no more than dig them up & throw them down the cliffs.

You can guess what happened.

Another "What the Victorians did for us"!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/jersey/content/articles/2008/06/05/springwatch_2008_feature.shtml

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 16:43 »
BBC are doing a general run on all teh foreign invaders. From plants to spiders to aquatic species...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7573320.stm

We have, like a lot of people, buddleia, cherry laurel and a rhododendron in a large tub. The laurels are the biggest pain next to the elders. Doesn't need to be alien to be invasive and annoying. :)

Rob 8)

noshed

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 16:52 »
I seem to be able to keep it at bay by spraying it weekly with glyphosate mixed at double strength. It's probably still underground but I didn't see any leaves this summer.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

wombling2006

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 17:05 »
I have loads of it...but nothing compared to what it used to be like...Ive tried everything...nothing works effectively..best Ive found and safest is removing it myself by digging/pulling and the goat really loves it as well ...which helps...lol :lol:
even the chickens will have a go at the leaves of the new shoots sometimes....it runs away with growth during the summer months....

I missed the spot on breakfast bbc about a week or so about it....I thought it mentioned someone finding a way to finally get rid of it....?

trudi
....beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

xx
Japanese Knotweed

Started by HHH on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2019, 18:51
by sospan
xx
japanese knotweed

Started by Rampant_Weasel on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 21:16
by spottymint
xx
Japanese Quince

Started by Sparkyrog on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 16:38
by Sparkyrog
xx
Japanese maple

Started by shaun on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 14:57
by penance

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.