apple tree problem

• 9 Replies

handman

apple tree problem
« on: September 30, 2015, 18:14 »
hi everyone hope someone can help I have a appletree at my allotment about 4 years old but cannot remember the name of it last year we had no apples at all this year I have apples but the bark of the tree has gone green like mildew and the apples are small and seem to have red spots on them don't want to eat them in case they are no good have a couple of pics for you to see any help appreciated
2015-09-30 14.00.10.jpg
2015-09-30 14.00.01.jpg

AlaninCarlisle

Re: apple tree problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 19:15 »
I'm looking forward to answers on this as I have a Golden Delicious tree, about 30 years old that produces a prodigious amount of apples but they are all spotted like yours and most are not much bigger than golf-balls. I was told that it was a sign of dryness of the roots (this is Cumbria for heaven's sake!) but nonetheless I piled about a foot of mulch around the base as suggested but to no avail

handman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 19:30 »
mine are only golf ball size as well I put that down to quite a few apples on the tree but not so sure now

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 20:13 »
I don't think there's anything to worry about, the green bloom on the trunk looks like a bit of algae or lichen starting to grow on it, which is natural/normal.  Different colourings/skin blemishes on the apples are also quite normal, particularly for home grown apples. I'd just cut them in half to check for any bugs inside, then peel them and see if they taste nice!

handman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 20:16 »
thanks for the reply will pick some tomorrow and see what they taste like hopefully bug free !!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 21:22 »
Cut one of the affected friuts open. 

If the blemishes extend into the flesh of the fruit it could be caused by calcium deficiency.

gordino

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 23:07 »
Cut one of the affected friuts open. 

If the blemishes extend into the flesh of the fruit it could be caused by calcium deficiency.
    what would u recommend for calcium deficiency.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 08:23 »
Link here Gordino to RHS advice on bitterpit, and how to treat it. Interestingly, although the fruits are deficient in calcium, the soil itself may be fine, and the trigger is something else such as dryness. Also, some cultivars are more affected than others:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=607

handman

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 22:16 »
I picked all the apples today and they tasted fine some a little small and some had been eaten by pest but overall they were fine and inspected the tree and no sign of any pest on the tree

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 12:25 »
I'm looking forward to answers on this as I have a Golden Delicious tree, about 30 years old that produces a prodigious amount of apples but they are all spotted like yours and most are not much bigger than golf-balls. I was told that it was a sign of dryness of the roots (this is Cumbria for heaven's sake!) but nonetheless I piled about a foot of mulch around the base as suggested but to no avail

thin them heavily next year and see what results you get.

xx
apple tree problem

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:15
by dmg
xx
Apple tree problem

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 10:42
by mumofstig
xx
apple tree problem

Started by dannie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 15:17
by dannie
angry
Apple Tree Problem

Started by Rosser on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 14:39
by Rosser

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 39 queries.