Hard frost heroes

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

Hard frost heroes
« on: April 07, 2021, 16:50 »
The only things that have germinated so far are my Pak Choi and turnip Oasis. The Pak Choi are barely an inch tall and only have their first 2 true leaves. The Oasis are even smaller. My max-min thermometer said the temperature in the raised bed fell to -9C last night and the tiny plants are fine! Absolute heroes  :D

Longshanks

Re: Hard frost heroes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 17:46 »
Last May, I got caught out by the late frost, but tomatoes and other sensitive souls survived.  Quite a few lost their potatoes, but mine were OK.  Sometimes, I think we mollycoddle plants too much, but I do anyway.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 18:49 »
I’m in London too and my darling tomatoes all got killed by the late May frost , luckily I had kept half of them back and they survived in my back yard.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 19:31 »
we hit -2.3 last night, 3rd night of frost and have lost half our toms  :(

Just sown some more, should be ok, when we hit those tropical temps here in sunny Blackpool they will soon catch up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 20:07 »
I'm way behind on my sowing (as usual  ::)  :lol: ) and only got round to starting off Broad beans, Leeks and Sunflowers a couple of days ago.  Having seen the overnight temperatures for the time being, I decided discretion was the better part of valour, and they're being started off indoors rather than in cold damp compost in an unheated greenhouse  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 21:46 »
Yay, Pak Choi doing it's thing as always. SO good to hear. Much love for the little cuties.  :)

Threw some aquadulce beans in the ground at the end of November. Covered them with the cheapest fleece imaginable. Honestly, you could seek out every pound store in your area, and not find anything as pathetic: A drunk spider could weave a more dense web of fibers than what I put down.

Pulled the mess off (what was left) about five weeks ago. The beans were about five inches tall. Regular night temperatures here in the Midlands clocking -2. One night - 4. Gonna be that way going forward for at least a week. I checked my beans yesterday, and they had a look and vibrancy about them that just said "Hey, how you doing? Nice to see you again. Would you mind watering us while you're here? It has been several days since we got a decent amount of rain. Just saying!"

Hard not to anthropomorphise (spelling ?) our plants at times.  :closedeyes:

Had two small batches of Half-pint peas that needed to be moved outdoors, because of re-potting my chili plants and lack of room. They were barely sprouted, but I had to throw them in the ground. I put some empty compost bags over them last week, and have been busy with work. Same thing. Took the bags off, and they were about three inches tall, and just seemed to be looking up at me: "What? Why are you looking at us like that? Nothing going on here. Derik and Jenna were playing cards last night, but they only bet with small amounts perlite. Promise!"

I see all UK growers responding so far. I wonder if we could hear from different parts of the world, and their struggles with the cold at the moment. Maybe even the opposite, and get some "Hard Fire Heroes" from the hotter realms that have managed to show some true person. :)

Regards

xx
Hard frost

Started by slowef on Grow Your Own

88 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 22:19
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Hard frost

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 02, 2023, 11:11
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Hard soil

Started by annieanne49 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 17:12
by Headgardener22
xx
Peas gone hard

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:13
by teflon

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 44 queries.