soft egg shells

• 9 Replies

Sue33

soft egg shells
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:43 »

hello everyone,

I know this is a common problem but one of my girls has recently started laying soft shelled eggs, pretty much every day.  I introduced some oyster shell grit for them which they all seem to tuck into, on Friday, but still a soft shell in the coop every morning so far, does it take a while for the grit to get into their system??   I have managed to find out who is laying them as corrie had distinctively yellow legs when I let them out this morning, poor thing i don't want her to get any complications  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: soft egg shells
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15 »
Try her with a little bit of limestone flour sprinkled on something like a grape for a few days. If all of them are laying soft shells then mix it in their feed but if it is just her then the grape trick should work  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 13:50 »
Hi, when you say you gave them oyster shell on Friday, do you men that they dont have it available all the time? (sorry...my user name is dizzy for a reason) Chickens should have oystershell and poultry grit available at all times. I have some ex-batt chickens in my flock and so i give them limestone flour/powder (from horsey type shops) Another member had problems with shells and ateaspoon of this mixed in with their afternoon treat soon sorted it for her :)

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 14:28 »

yes, they now have a little dish attached to the run with the oyster shell in it, so readily available  :D  can the limestone flour be bought in the supermarket?

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 14:30 »
Chickens should have oystershell and poultry grit available at all times.

Do they need both, All the time? I only have poulty grit out for mine  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 14:58 »
Limestone flour is from pet shops - if not at a horsey place then try a reptile place as it can be given to turtles for their shells  :)

Chickens need the grit to grind their food (as they have no teeth - or at least hens teeth are extremely rare  ;)) and the oyster shell (you could used washed, baked and then crushed egg shells instead) for the calcium to make new shells so this should be available at all times.  :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 17:06 »
I tried an extra portion of fine oyster shell in the afternoon treat (to make sure they ate it), and it didn't really solve the problem.

No they get a teaspoon of limestone flour (calcium carbonate) mixed into their corn/mash every afternoon, and it does seem to have made a difference.

(If that sounds wrong - then please someone tell me :unsure:)

We're getting good quality shells now, wheareas before, too many soft shells, and even some nasty thin shells which broke before they were laid.  Just awful for poor Wilma, imagine having broken egg shell up you're whatsit?  Poor girl.

I got a tub of it on line on fleabay.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 17:25 »
Yep, as Flowerpower says, limestone really does make a difference :D

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 18:11 »
Leafy greens are also a good source of calcium especially if your birds don't free range and can't find greens of their own. Hanging a lump of spring green up for them also provides entertainment. Don't overdo the greens though as they'll get an upset tummy  :unsure:
It's not really that complicated....just sounds it ::)

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 09:25 »

they do free range most of the day in the garden and it's only the one girl who's having the problem, the other two are fine, i have added some of the oyster shell grit to their pellets so she should get some, i have seen the other two pecking at the oyster shell grit in the run but not corrie, bad girl  :lol:  will try and get the limestone flour as well......

xx
Soft Shells

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 09:50
by Flowerpower136
xx
soft egg shells

Started by bateschooks on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 18:40
by joshbuchan
xx
soft shells

Started by Tralou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 16:31
by joyfull
xx
soft shells/old age?????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 20:16
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.