I think Derek the Maran cockerel has had a stroke...

• 2 Replies

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
I think Derek the Maran cockerel has had a stroke...
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:55 »
Morning all!

I am hoping someone may have experienced this and could give me some advice.  Derek, my totally gorgeous maran cockerel (approx 6 months old) has lost the use of his legs.  His right leg is worse than the left and he can just about staggar around by he can't support his own weight.  He's tilting to one side as well.  But he is bright eyed and alert, and he's eating and drinking loads. 

I do not want to have to cull him but I am at a loss as to what to do.  I've left him with his hens and they aren't attacking him.  He seems happy to sit by the feeder and waterer and watch them.  He's been like it for a few days now and doesn't seem to be getting any better, or worse for that matter.

His perch isn't too high (about 18" off the floor) but he is a large bird so I did wonder if he'd sprained something jumping off it... Do you think this could be a muscular/joint thing, or has he had some kind of stroke?

Hope someone can advise me.

Many thanks, Sarah
Mad chicken woman

Foxy

Re: I think Derek the Maran cockerel has had a stroke...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:30 »
Oh dear poor Derek, :(

How long have you had him Sarah? did you hatch him? Did the paralysis come on suddenly?
It could be an injury,specially if he has grown quickly and has just started to perch. They do look awkward and  unbalanced, however an injury will have symptoms of heat or swelling aroung the hocks or swelling(maybe fluid) on the base of the foot with a possible infection. There may not be obvious evidence of trauma either with an infection. The treatment would be rest and teatment with baby aspirin or Metacam possibly Baytril from the vets to reduce inflammation and treat any infection in the leg. (Check before using aspirin that there is no chance of a more serious injury.) With soft tissue injuries be very patient as they can take months to sort themselves out.

The problem could be also be neurological, like the Mareks virus, that is more probable if you haven't raised him yourself or have a Mareks carrier in your flock. :(

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
Re: I think Derek the Maran cockerel has had a stroke...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:41 »
Hi Foxy

Thanks for responding - I appreciate it.  I was given him as a youngster by a local breeder who I've had birds from on many occasions (including Steve the cream legbar cockerel who is in fine fettle) and she has great quality birds kept in really good conditions.  She has no sign of Mareks.  That said I was worried about Mareks but having looked at the Merck website leg paralasis in Mareks is asymmetric i.e. one leg points forward and one back - they have a pic of a chicken basically doing the splits.  Derek's are pointing forward but he's resting on his hocks like he has no strength.  I have checked for inflammation and foot problems - nothing, and my daughter has held him and moved his legs to see what happens but no obvious discomfort.  I will take him inside and give him complete perch rest with an aspirin as you suggest.  I have also given him a dose of vitamins (in his water).  If he makes it through I will also move him to a house with a lower perch.

Fingers crossed and thanks again

xx
Copper Maran Cockerel??

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 15:00
by joyfull
xx
Black Maran Cockerel help!!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 10:25
by joyfull
sad
My Broody Maran- Help please!!

Started by markt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 21:10
by Vember
xx
maran query

Started by grinling on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 21:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 33 queries.