cats & chickens

• 15 Replies

hamcat

cats & chickens
« on: August 20, 2008, 20:40 »
Hi there new to this forum i am getting some chickens soon for the back garden . I also have a cat who uses the back garden can anyone tell me if there cat gets on with there chickens :D

Vember

cats & chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 21:01 »
Hi & Welcome

I have 6 cats and they just ignore my birds, when I first got the birds they were curious but got a peck  :lol:

Wouldn't trust them with any of the babies though

Have a water pistol handy, prefrably a big one that always sorts mine out :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some photo's when you get your girls :D

Sarah :)

hamcat

cats & chickens
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 21:12 »
cheers sarah will do lee

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
cats & chickens
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 21:50 »
My 2 cats are terrified of our 4 hens  one of the cats tried it on just after the hens arrived, but got a good pecking for his cheek :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Vickie & Richard

cats & chickens
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:42 »
We are surrounded my cats in my neighbourhood, i was concerned when i got my girls, but even in their run they can still stand up for themselves!!  A few flap off their wings and the cats leg it.

Lemon

cats & chickens
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:48 »
That's good to hear Vickie!!  :D

We have a new family in the neighbourhood with three cats who thought my raised beg beds were giant cat litter trays!!   :shock:     :x
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

Miller

cats & chickens
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:01 »
We have 2 cats and when we 1st brought the chooks home you could see the "Wow, tea!" thing going through their heads - both shot towards the run - 3 chooks ran towards them as tall as they could make theirselves and flapped a bit   -  cats turned tail and ran  :lol:  

The older cat now spends all day laying on our mounting block next to the run watching the chooks and they just ignore her (she miaowed at tehm once and got a pecked nose for her trouble)

Younger cat totally ignores them

hamcat

cats & chickens
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 14:31 »
cheers everyone :D

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
cats & chickens
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 22:13 »
We got our chooks last thurs,& I had the same worries.I had read posts about this & they all said cats are no prob with chooks so we took the plunge & got some.The younger cat has taken a keen interest in them,the older cat has taken it more in her stride,she's mildly interested.I don't trust either of them by themselves with them when they free range,especially the young cat.If the chooks are in their run,sometimes the young cat stalks up to them,getting ready to pounce.But the chooks sqwark loudly.I think they will box the cats ears if they were out in the garden,but the cats will have to learn the hard way I think.
I think the cats will learn their lesson & leave them alone eventually.I hope..
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Jellyhead

cats & chickens
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:12 »
I have 12 cats, none have been a problem and 2 who are just a year spend nearly all day in the run and coop.................see

:shock: I even caught one eating the turkey food :shock: I do feed em honest :roll:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
cats & chickens
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 17:15 »
wow I wish mine are like that!Do you think I should just let them pounce on a chook & see what happens?I'm scared the chook will get hurt,so I'm always there to intervene,but I know I can't always be in the garden when the cats are.I only let my youngest one out when I'm there,he gets an evil look on his face & hides & stalks them all over the garden!I tell him off & he thinks it's a game...

Kate and her Ducks

cats & chickens
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 17:22 »
When I hatched my day old ducklings I was pretty worried about my younger cat (old one would only be a problem if they actually raqn into her mouth). He steered well clear of the older ducklings but didn't think a ball of yellow fluff would stand much of a chance and had caught him watching them. Had a day old duckling on my lap and decided to let him creep up on it so I could shout at him and give him a little clip so he knew they were off limits. Before I could do anything the duckling ran up to him, bit his nose and settled back down again! Never seen the cat more so fast and never went near them again :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Jellyhead

cats & chickens
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 17:58 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: nice one Kate :wink:

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
cats & chickens
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 22:06 »
:lol:  :lol: my cat is smaller than my biggest chook!But he's stupid & thinks he can catch anything.I know they're gonna have to sort it out soon.He needs them to put him in his place.It's no good me telling him off,they have to tell him off themselves!I feel like a protective parent...it's hard to know whether to step in & stop him or to just see what happens.. :?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
cats & chickens
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 23:32 »
hi, when my cat first saw the girls she had a glint in her eye! then one day she was sitting watching them roaming around the garden and did her 'crouch down bottom wiggling in the air ' manouver and was just about to pounce on them when nugget snuck up behind her and gave her a peck!!!!!! cat shot across the garden and over the fence! :lol: we didnt see her for the rest of the afternoon!!!! :lol:  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Will Chickens Be Okay With 2 Cats + a Dog??

Started by pookey on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 07:49
by flatcap
xx
CHICKENS AND CATS

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 16:23
by feelingbroody
xx
cats and chickens

Started by brucie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:49
by peggyprice
xx
Chickens and Cats

Started by Markw on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 18:29
by Markw

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 35 queries.