Campbell's versus indian runners

• 5 Replies

Mum2mj

Campbell's versus indian runners
« on: February 18, 2016, 17:43 »
Hi I've decided to hatch some ducks, I'm hoping we'll get at least 2 from a clutch of 6 but I know these things aren't guaranteed! I thought I'd decided on runner ducks but I'm not sure again. They'll have to be in an enclosed run, I see several foxes a day passing through my garden. The garden slopes away from the house so would have a small pond at the bottom, the run will be 3x4m for 2-3 ducks, (if that's sufficient).
I'm hoping to attach it to the existing chicken shed and run (I've 1 hen and 3 bantams) so they'd have plenty of indoor housing, and use of the other run although it's not as big. I'd eventually like to sort a portable run so I can give them access to other parts of the garden but that won't be for awhile. The breed needs to be friendly as I have a 1, nearly 5 & 7 yr old. I'm also going to make use of vertical space for the chickens which should generate more floor area. Think I'm rambling now I've been reading non stop about ducks for weeks and want to make a decision and get cracking!! Any advice welcomed :)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Campbell's versus indian runners
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:47 »
You say friendly - do you mean come up to you etc of their accord? If so when they hatch keep them seperate for a while then they will imprint on humans rather then ducks/each other. I have never known ducks to be unfriendly but they do tend to do their own thing. I have also found that runners aren't greedy ducks so won't always come for food.

Hope this helps  :)

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51 »
Thanks Norfolkgrey, I'll do that, I've just read so much conflicting info on temperaments etc I :wacko: l
Do you think the setup/space will be okay for 2-3 ducks? Thanks  :)

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06 »
Ducks DO make a muddy mess! The more space the better. As you are intending to keep them with chickens you may need to make some adjustments. Hens roost up high and WILL poo on the ducks who don't. If you hatch a drake they WILL try to mate with the chooks and make their lives miserable. What will you do if all 6 hatch? I have been around runners and had Campbells myself, both are great to keep. Campbells may lay more eggs. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 11:48 »
LOL. Sassy I am worried about your drake. I have never had any fuss about the chickens. Poor chickens - sorry I still can't help chuckling. Ducks can peck at you but it won't do anything as they don't seem to realise their bills are rounded and rubbery  :nowink:

Is the duck run separate to the duck run? The size IMO is fine but as said it will become disgusting, however the chickens won't appreciate it much.

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38 »
The chicken run is on a higher level concrete ground (with wood chip) and the duck run will be grass (to start with anyway!) and it slopes away from the chickens. The idea is to join the runs  as the shed is on the hard standing. I'm going to put roosts higher up with a droppings board underneath which should solve the pooing on ducks issue  ???
I will be rehoming any surplus ducks/drakes, and if not I'll be sweet talking hubby.. Luckily our garden's big  ;)

xx
Indian runners

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 20:13
by freckledbeck
xx
Indian Runners

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 15:34
by Foxy
xx
Indian Runners at 10days old with mum

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 15:43
by diamond_lil
xx
Five Black indian Runners.....

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 23:26
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 33 queries.