Copper Maran Cockerel??

• 3 Replies

Prod

Copper Maran Cockerel??
« on: January 28, 2016, 17:36 »
I hatched some Copper Maran eggs and 4 were hens with one cockerel, now sold, but the 6th one is a mystery.  It's comb and wattles are slightly bigger and redder than the hens  but I still don't think it a male.  It is the tamest bird I have ever had and always approaches me when I go to the field.  I pick it up and it spends hours in the shed with me on my workbench chirruping away. It loves to be stroked and especially having it's chin (if chickens have chins) tickled almost going into a trance. It wants my attention all the time.  It is now 14 weeks old and it's  comb and wattles have not grown or got darker and it has no sign of any spurs.........   I am hoping it is indeed a hen as I would keep it.....  any comments????

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Copper Maran Cockerel??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:56 »
any chance you could post a couple of photos of him/her with it's siblings and also alone? Spurs do not necessarily mean he/she is a male - females can have spurs too.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 13:08 »
We had one like this a couple of years ago, a Bulgarian Shumen. We couldn't decide what it was and every time we made up our minds we changed it again. The Shumens are usually easy to sex from a very early age. We called it Heshey and he eventually showed himself as a male but not as striking or strong natured. He went to a new home at 7 months and was a favourite with the humans and did mate with the girls, but not nearly as enthusiastically as his flashy brothers.

Good luck with finding out....

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 15:00 »
I had the same with a silkie x bantie - she turned out to be the best broody you could ever hope for and raised lots of chicks.

xx
copper maran temperament???

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 19:39
by kattcottrell
xx
copper blue maran

Started by dianemk73 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 17:42
by Foxy
xx
Black Maran Cockerel help!!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 10:25
by joyfull
xx
I think Derek the Maran cockerel has had a stroke...

Started by Sarah Mitchell on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 09:41
by Sarah Mitchell

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.