To dig or not to dig that is the question

• 10 Replies

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig that is the question
« on: December 14, 2020, 21:12 »
Hi everyone what’s everyone’s opinion on on digging verses no dig I’ve tryed both had good results and don’t mind digging Carnt help thinking the digging and adding compost make it easier for the roots  ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: To dig or not to dig that is the question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 22:22 »
This is one of those subjects which I believe is personal to the gardener.

Where we are no dig does not work, at least the 20 odd people that have come on site and tried it then given up because there is a forest of marestail!
Myself I am a digger, I prefer to dig as much mares root up as poss and actually love the satisfaction of doing it, I enjoy the excercise.

The day I cant dig is the day I will sit in the garden drinking beer instead.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 01:03 »
I enjoy it as-well funny you should say about the mares tail when I did no dig I got some mares tail not loads but a patch went to town on it and it seems to have gone wonder if drys the soil too  much and that causes it
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:32 by Snowboar »

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:25 »
This is one of those subjects which I believe is personal to the gardener.

I fully agree with that Aidy
In our case we moved over to no dig about six years ago and have never looked back. It can be difficult to make or get hold of sufficient mulch to cover the plot each year but it's working really well for us. The time spent making compost and mulching is easily offset by time saved not weeding and the plot still looks tidy all year round. The mulch also conserves moisture so less watering is required. I find it physically easier too, particularly on my back and knees.
As said, it's a matter of personal choice.

Christine

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:35 »
Part of the answer lies in the soil. Some soil responds to the no dig if you can get it in condition. Untreated clay that hasn't been composted is a different matter.

I'm coming to the point on the plot I've had for nearly 14 years end of February is the end date - where I can look at whether to dig or not. This year is going to be a digging year.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 16:04 »
much of what's been said makes good sense and its again down to ones preference myself I'm a traditional gardener we dig over the raised beds and plough the rest of the plots adding as much compostable matter and manure as possible to put goodness back in the soil maybe the no dig way is better for the smaller gardens but for larger plots I'm not sure ?

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 19:25 »
I’m a converted no digger,in my 3rd year & absolutely love it, I enjoy making compost & make about 5 cubic meters or so a year, I have access to well rotted manure that I have to go & fetch. The mares tail is getting less & less as are the weeds. I get enough digging with turning the 5 compost bins & barrowing it out round the plot. Also it’s as if the plants have got rocket fuel under them. It also makes perfect sense to me that the fungi & microbial life underground needs leaving as undisturbed as possible. I’ve even converted hubby who used to wield the rotovator that was his dads .
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Debz

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 10:37 »
I enjoy digging although this past year when we took over another half plot, my sister tried to convince me to go no dig on some of the new beds.  We'll see how that works out in time.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17 »
Part of the answer lies in the soil. Some soil responds to the no dig if you can get it in condition. Untreated clay that hasn't been composted is a different matter.

I'd agree with that.

No dig does make a difference to even heavy clay that has not been worked, but it does take a long time (speaks from experience here having tried some of Bob Flowerdew's ideas in the past).  I do some no-dig areas now my soil is in better heart, but I also use trench composting which is a very old method from years gone by and traditional digging.

It depends on the gardener as well.  We have a couple of plots trying it on our site, but the terrain makes it a hard slog.  Both are at the top of the hill and have narrow access paths.  Having watched a plot neighbour barrow up goodness now how much mulch material this spring, it looked a lot less bovver to get the spade out  :lol:  Neither plot has produced that much this year.  At least not compared to the rest of us. 

No dig does not mean no work, but it does attract those who see it as a shortcut, so they are often disappointed.  If you do it properly it grows stuff for you.  I have said this before, but the main reason I only use no dig for some areas is not being able to make enough compost in situ and the obstacles to getting bought in material to where I need it.  Charles Dowding buys in material by the lorry load and has it delivered to his gardens, so grows in deep mulches of organic material,  TBH you would have to try really hard to fail on that system  :lol: 

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 12:56 »
I’m on fairly heavy clay and used to dig each autumn, but noticed that after a winter of rain it had all compacted back again by spring :unsure:  On previous soils the winter frosts broke the clods up, but doesn’t seem to happen here, you literally get moss and algae growing on the clods overwinter.

I now make lots of compost/leaf mould and spread over the top in autumn and let it gradually incorporate into the soil so you get a nice easy to work top 4-6”. The solid clay is still underneath for the plants to anchor into and find water, but the top loose layer reduces the evaporation and cracking that I previously got, or maybe I just can’t see it now.

That said, I did notice some horse tail has crept across from a neighbouring plot while strawberries were there for three years, so will be giving that end of the plot a good digging over to remove as much of the root as possible before planting anything else there.

al78

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47 »
I only do significant digging to get perennial weeds out, particularly along the edge of my plot where they invade from the grass path which separates plots (I'm going to see if digging a shallow trench along the boundary helps). I've sown a green manure on some beds, the mild autumn meant the mustard grew and started flowering quickly so I cut it down. I have been collecting horse manure and spreading it on beds which don't have crops. It does seem to be working over the last few years. Despite not doing a major autumn/winter dig, and being on heavy clay, my soil has improved, it is less heavy and claggy and it is easier to get a fork in if I need to evict a dandelion or creeping buttercup. This autumn has been wet and dull so the soil is wet and the lack of sun means it isn't drying any time soon, so I think I'm best leaving it alone over winter, apart from continuing to spread horse manure. I'm lucky not to be infested with mares tail, the primary nuisance persistent weeds I have are bindweed, creeping buttercup, couch grass and dandelions.

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 50 queries.