Stupid birds!

• 8 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Stupid birds!
« on: August 24, 2011, 20:48 »
For the last couple of days, whenever I open the gate to enter the run my two current layers rush up to the threshold and start to peck out the grass without. As soon as I try to step in and move them out the way they assume "The Position" and consequently I nearly stand on them and fall into the run landing on the coop. I'm going to have to move the coop to give myself a bit more room to get in without causing injury to them or myself.

To annoy me further the goldline then followed me around the run as I poo picked, continually grabbing the edge of the rubber glove (white) as it bunched around my wrist. No idea why she found this so attractive.

Chrysalis

Re: Stupid birds!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 21:17 »
Funny isn't it?  One of our warrens and one sussex make a bid for freedom every morning, but soon realise the food is on the inside of the run.  They too, squat down so I nearly tread on them. Just part of the fun, I guess!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 13:44 »
I put one foot in and shoo our girls to one side before stepping in their enclosure. 

Have the same problem when poo picking as they often peck at shoes, trousers or anything they find interesting.  ???
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 13:50 »
I wear small hoop earrings and when I was in picking up poop the other day one of my chooks took a liking to it and starting pecking my ear  :blink:  (I was bent down at the time just in case you think I have giant chickens  :tongue2: )
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

orionsquare

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 23:31 »
Before I go into the run, I lure the chickens to the far end of the run opposite the door, pretending to put something down. When they are engrossed in trying to find out what I put there, I run to the door and get in before they come charging up to the door. It worked for about 2 weeks but now they know ...  :D and they run to the door with me to try to meet me there!  ::)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41 »
It worked for about 2 weeks but now they know ...  :D and they run to the door with me to try to meet me there!  ::)

:lol: That sounds about right!  :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 21:01 »
Speckles always tries to get out first thing, only a prob if I am going out. rest of the time they roam the garden, yet to try to get into next door. They return to the shake of the corn pot.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 15:06 »
ours are worse.
You open the door to the run and go back into the house. they follow you into the house and start eating the cats' food.

But ifyou try to use that time to clean the poo out of the run, they run away from you (always, ALWAYS in the direction you are going!) and get under your feet as try to get on with what you're doing.
 :wacko:

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 15:13 »
These posts have made me laugh, chickens are so funny!

xx
Marginly stupid corn question!

Started by Lewjam on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 22:30
by rachelr
xx
Who says Chickens are stupid... (further adventures of girls that won't perch)

Started by rufty on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 15:55
by ANHBUC
xx
table birds

Started by dannyboy2010 on Chicken Chat

27 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 23:43
by ANHBUC
xx
young Birds

Started by pepsi100 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 11:03
by kegs

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.