anyone found a good way of stopping cats messing on the plot (and gravel drive)

• 8 Replies

3759allen

i'm having trouble with cats leaving their calling card everywhere. i find it on the drive, paths, beds, pretty much anywhere.

i use ground pepper around the beds that i have just dug and sown/ planted in and that seems to work until things grow enough so there's no room to do their business. but i can't really apply pepper everywhere.

this seems to be getting worse and worse. to the point now where when you walk up the drive there's a good chance you'll stand in it, and in the morning it always stinks with that awful aroma.

any help and ideas appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:02 by mumofstig »

BabbyAnn

unusual for cats to do it on driveways and paths as they normally try to cover it over.  On the beds, I lay a number of stuff on top to prevent them from turning round on the spot - old trellissing stretched out, canes criss crossed.  Last year I used some pea/bean netting stretched across the top about a couple of inches off the ground for the garlic bed which worked very well ... may I recommend it as a temporary measure as I did find the weeding a bit difficult LOL

cadalot

Peashooter at 10 paces  :ohmy:

Edit: 'Shotgun' changed to 'peashooter' - please keep it 'nice' or this thread will suffer the same fate as most similar topics in the past.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:58 by JayG »

3759allen

Peashooter at 10 paces  :ohmy:

Edit: 'Shotgun' changed to 'peashooter' - please keep it 'nice' or this thread will suffer the same fate as most similar topics in the past.

judging by your response you've had or got similar frustrations over blighters.

i think there should be a law to make cat owners come and clear the mess up from their cats, if i had a dog and let it do it's business over peoples drives, paths and gardens i would have the residents and police round. why is it different between cats and dogs. maybe cat nappies should be made compulsory. 

cadalot

My problem is Foxes on the Allotment - at least they keep the cats away  :nowink:

Can we suggest a Catapult which could be how it got it's name  :wub:

simonwatson

I've just ordered one of the PIR activated sprayers for the back garden as I'm sick of cats using my strawberry bed as a little tray. I've got an infra red camera to set up too so I can see how it works.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Can we suggest a Catapult which could be how it got it's name  :wub:

No it didn't.

The word 'catapult' comes from the Latin 'catapulta', which in turn comes from the Greek καταπέλτης (katapeltēs), itself from (kata), "downwards" + πάλλω (pallō), "to toss, to hurl". 
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

Oooh - didn't know that - would have had a guess at Indian for some reason, like shampoo. Anyway, back to topic. I would be annoyed if any of my cats caused such a problem to someone else, and wonder if they are feral cats and/or toms because they are not hiding their businesses. I believe cats don't like the smell of citrus like orange or lemon peel.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Why do some members always become red-necked on the topic of cats and so cause me to lock what could otherwise have been a useful and constructive topic  >:(

xx
How to deter cats from messing in my veg beds?

Started by PupStar on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 10:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
I've found a good website.

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 08:14
by sunshineband
xx
Anyone found any good online deals for growbags/multi purpose compost?

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 19:12
by Yana
xx
Stopping couch encroaching from neighbouring plot

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 09, 2023, 09:21
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.