HOUDINI HEN

• 9 Replies

desandchez

HOUDINI HEN
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:22 »
dose any body have any ideas on how to stop my moran from escaping? we have put strings across the high points but she still gets over the electric fence, we thought she might be getting under the fence so we pinned down the netting our neighbour said that she was jumping up on the nest box then jumping on to the fence and over. We have done the obvious and cliped her wings but still she escapes ,any body know where i can get a ball and chain ;)

viettaclark

Re: HOUDINI HEN
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:27 »
Do you just have the one chicken? If so she's probably desperately lonely!!!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:34 »
Have you clipped both wings or just one wing to unbalance her ?
A piece of netting between the nestbox and the fence will stop her getting a clear jump.
A hen of mine would easily go between horizontal strings till i fenced off her launch pad.

desandchez

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 16:31 »
She is not lonley as she has 18 sister hens, but she is the only one to escape

bubs

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 21:10 »
wish i could help but about 30 years ago i managed to lose my tortoise in my securely fenced in garden that nobody could enter  :blush:.
i was feeding the tortoise on the lawn my mother called me for my lunch all of 6 yds away and 10 minutes later there was no sight of the damn thing i searched every square inch of our small garden plus the 2 neighbours either side at we never did find it  :( i have been expecting to find an empty shell for 30 years but its never happened yet . :lol: :lol:

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:43 »
i have been expecting to find an empty shell for 30 years but its never happened yet . :lol: :lol:
You haven't seen any armoured chickens around the garden have you?

bubs

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 13:10 »

[/quote]
You haven't seen any armoured chickens around the garden have you?

:lol: :lol: not yet! but if i come across a tortoise shelled chook i will let you know .

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:42 »
one of ours took to escaping last summer while we were on hols and neighbour was looking after them, turns out she was laying eggs under a tree.  He got her back in each day but she got over the fence again, I think she was broody and looking for peace and quiet.  She had a clipped wing so the only other option was to raise the fence height by another 2' using black garden netting. She couldn't manage to fly over that so gave up in the end.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:54 »
I have a houdini duck, one of my indian runners has learnt if he turns his body sideways he can slip through the electric fence where the two ends are joined, I couldn't figure out how he was doing it till I caught him at it! :D :D

desandchez

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:36 »
HOUDINID HEN no more we put up netting on the nest box the look of indignation on her face was unbelievable,so now she just goes round being the big bully, no doubt she will calm down later. Thanks for your replies :D

xx
Ducks, Houdini & Electric Fencing

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 23:46
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 39 queries.