Apples, Apples and yet more Apples.

• 7 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Apples, Apples and yet more Apples.
« on: October 15, 2022, 10:12 »
I've got pies and crumbles in the freezer and yesterday picked another big bucketful  ::) What to do with them?
I saved a bowl of nice big ones for eating fresh and preserved the rest as Apple sauce,

I had some on my porridge this morning, it was lovely  :D

Kleftiwallah

Re: Apples, Apples and yet more Apples.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 10:25 »
Good morning Maa'm.  at this time of year there are normally home cidermakers crying out for windfalls,  try freecycle.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 17:51 »
Some chums down the road opposite always have a small stall outside their drive, and there are usually several pounds of apples and pears free to anyone!

Apparently the pears are 'cookers, and need some white wine and a little sugar and heat...:0~

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 10:26 »
I had some on my porridge this morning, it was lovely  :D
I'm fond of that too especially with a splodge of honey or golden syrup in there too  :tongue2:

I've been turning the cookers I pick up each morning into unsweetened sauce and freezing.  It's less bulky than the final products and a shop bought desert apple can always be added later if something needs a bit more texture.

I keep meaning to try an Eves's pudding made using the microwave sponge recipes that are floating about.

Christine

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 16:08 »
Eves pudding is good - with raspberries and such.  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 17:08 »
when we went to visit my daughter the other week, I noticed both the apple trees and the pear tree needed picking so my daughter said would you like to pick them, so I picked the lot two big bags full of lovely apples and pears my daughter only wanted a few so not to waste them we bought them home the wife sorted the apples that we didn't think would keep and cooked them  they went in the freezer the rest I set up in my potato trays both apples and pears and I'm eating the pears as they ripen there lovely and sweet

then our farmer friends called to say come and pick you selves some apples, so we went up the farm got a ladder and stated picking the tree was loaded like most apple trees the best apples are always at the top of the tree so up I ventured a bit further the wife said don't go any further because the ladder is only on a small branch, and it doesn't look safe I said its ok don't worry then the branch broke and down I came lucky for me the ground was quite soft when I hit it she was quite upset as she thought I had broken something so when I got up on my feet a bit shook up but still in one piece didn't I have telling of from her  >:( we still managed to get a good bag of apples not up the ladder I Hasen to say   then to add insult to injury she made me go to Dobbies and buy an apple picker well they were on offer that day  :D I think someone up there must have been looking over me that day  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 15:39 »
The last few apples came off in this week's storm, just peeled and chopped them, most are in the slowcooker for more apple puree and a few have gone in an apple cake  :)
That little tree did really well this year, so well that some branches are now bent right down, it'll need some pruning to get it back into shape  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 17:21 »
Our three-year old 'double' with Braeburn and Bramley did us proud this year, and while the apples are quite small, they're fabulous in porridge and anything else like Waldorf salad or a chunk of Wensleydale!

As for pruning them, it looks as though they're 'tip and spur' fruiters, so I'll need t be extra careful with the secateurs this time...

xx
Which apples do they mean

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 20:52
by Beetroot queen
xx
Apples

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 09:56
by Elcie
xx
Apples!

Started by denise on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2006, 14:25
by Oliver
xx
Apples.

Started by PAH48 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:49
by janette

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 48 queries.