Dinner or lunch

• 16 Replies

Growster...

Re: Dinner or lunch
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 05:34 »
Here it's always been Breakfast, (the dog has Brexit), lunch at midday, (when I was working, just a sandwich and a pint with clients or business partners. Mrs Growster had the small lunch with her children at school) Eventually, the evening meal became supper, after a few years of just 'dinner'.

But there again, when I retired, we decided to switch our 'main' meal (called lunch still) to midday as having no real need to cook in the evening meant a sandwich in front of a DVD was more appealing in the winter, while in the summer, we just sit in the conservatory and chat or read. Also appetites have waned more than somewhat...

As Goosey says, it's probably a regional thing.

Anyone for 'snap', or in Eton College, 'Boys Dinner' (Lunch at half past one..;0)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Dinner or lunch
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 10:48 »
Well I have yet another take on it.

Northern roots dictate that the evening meal is tea.  The What's for Tea thread gives me away on that one  :lol:  However, my family moved south when I was young, so the meal around midday is lunch and I can't remember calling it anything else.   Supper is a word I never use for any meal and the only dinner I have is on Christmas Day, usually early afternoon.

Makes sense to me, although I am fully aware I may be in a minority of 1 with that reasoning  :lol:

xx
The Ploughman's lunch...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2018, 07:36
by Growster...
xx
best dinner service

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post August 27, 2023, 09:17
by Goosegirl
xx
What's for Christmas dinner then?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

26 Replies
Last post December 23, 2023, 03:28
by Subversive_plot
xx
A drama at dinner time

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2019, 15:33
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 41 queries.