Jerusalem Artichokes

• 9 Replies

Bay Laurel

Jerusalem Artichokes
« on: April 09, 2014, 14:36 »
Can someone help please with advice, I have been given three pieces of Artichokes which have shoots, have never grown these.  I am aware that they are tall and look like small sunflowers.  Are they invasive? 

dmg

Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 15:01 »
Hi Bay,
Plant and earth them up as you would potatoes, mines got to 8ft in height last year, I grew them in big dust bins as I was told they were very invasive.

Dmg

Ps This should have been posted in grow your own, one of the mods will move it for you.

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 19:59 »
They are a nightmare I have seen them on other peoples plots and after a few years (on the one plot at least) that's all you can see is JA.

They make a nice green fence tho  :)

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 20:04 »
Rubbish.  If you harvest them the they are not a problem.  The trouble is that most people grow them without using them.  Raspberry canes are invasive but no one moans about them.

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 22:01 »
Rubbish.  If you harvest them the they are not a problem.  The trouble is that most people grow them without using them.  Raspberry canes are invasive but no one moans about them.

LOL
Invasive they are very much so.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10 »

I'd agree with you, if you harvest them properly they are fine, you could say strawberries are invasive throwing out runners ect

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:10 »
we had them on our old plot, just plant them in the position you want them and they will grow, must admit we didnt like the taste so will not be growing any this time :)
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

gobs

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 19:34 »
Saying how rampant they are, I could not establish them on my new plot for years running. :lol:

Somehow or other they kept disappearing in the winter. The first season that I got a decent crop was last year.

I planted 6-7 back. I have 4 showing so far.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 19:57 »
I always have loads, but then we use loads.  In 3 areas; damp clay is worst as you get slug holes.  Dry clay is good, and also free draining silt (best). If you don't want them spreading out of bounds, dig em up.  Don't put them to the sunny side of anything- they do sit around 5/6ft July Aug Sept time, but good used as a windbreak.  There's a joke there too, but we'll let you find out  :D.......

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 20:12 »
I planted 6 in a bed about 6 years ago now. Never had to replant, no matter how hard I try i can't dig them all out. They do seem to get deeper as the years go by though. One year soon I may well glyphosate them if I want to move them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2018, 14:03
by Anton
xx
jerusalem artichokes

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 16:44
by Shadrak
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 16:24
by tode
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 14:42
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 38 queries.