Decorative vegetables

• 11 Replies

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Decorative vegetables
« on: February 25, 2010, 22:09 »
I have moved into a new office at work. Big open plan job! Thats the not so good news. The good news is that it has lots of south facing windows and 2 foot wide window sills. Now my boss is a bit unpleasant about mess and would not be keen at all about the ideas of tomatoes and such like being grown, even though anyone can see that was the plan when the room was built! So I thought that introducing a few nice houseplants might cheer her up a little. I have ordered a selection of very decorative chillis and I wondered if anyone had any bright ideas for other houseplants I can eat? It seems such a waste not to enhance the space with a few plants. Unfortunately I think we are talking pots not grow bags as even my missus wont have grow bags in the house.

Looking forward to some good, crazy and amusing answers.

BIG-Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Spana

Re: Decorative vegetables
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 22:16 »
Aubergines might be OK.  They do well in pots and have pretty flowers :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 22:25 »
Have you ordered any of the pretty in purple chillies Paddy?  Aggy gave me some seeds a couple of years back and although I grew them in the polytunnel, they are so pretty!  tiny round chillies, fairly hot but they are purple, orange and red depending on the stage of ripeness

what about some of the pretty lettuces like lollo rosso, grow them for your lunch!!!! Picked straight from the pot!

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 22:51 »
Hi,
On a slight tangent, how about some herbs particularly smelly ones like rosemary or coriander- much nicer than horrible artificial air freshners
Jon

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 00:43 »
Herbs sounds a good starting point!  ;)

In our huge new school with its bland grey corridor walls and eye-flattening belts of oh-so bright colours in sets of classrooms we were instructed to keep things extremely orderly. Any paper left in sight would be binned and all surfaces must be clear... flipping hard in a school for primary aged children.

Looked like a new show house - unused.... but in crept the pot plants (despite the underfloor heating)... Gradually the place is looking more like home with bright interesting wall displays and "objects" on surfaces for children to interact with.

Next: we have a huge square open to the sky but within the walls of the school (Roman villa style). It is going to be great persuading the children to tell the Head that "we" need a greenhouse!!  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:41 »
How about Lemongrass? It can grow very well in a large pot, no flowers but a good looking grasslike plant all the same.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 23:01 »
Hmm a trough of herbs might look good Learner/JB.

I got some of the colourfull chillis GA, they are obviously houseplants. :)

Aubergines might work Spana, but I myself havent grown any pretty ones. Are there any you would recommend?

Paddy

Spana

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:33 »
Aubergines might work Spana, but I myself havent grown any pretty ones. Are there any you would recommend?

Paddy

No, I dont like them :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 15:13 »

In our huge new school with its bland grey corridor walls and eye-flattening belts of oh-so bright colours in sets of classrooms we were instructed to keep things extremely orderly. Any paper left in sight would be binned and all surfaces must be clear... flipping hard in a school for primary aged children.

Looked like a new show house - unused.... but in crept the pot plants (despite the underfloor heating)... Gradually the place is looking more like home with bright interesting wall displays and "objects" on surfaces for children to interact with.

Next: we have a huge square open to the sky but within the walls of the school (Roman villa style). It is going to be great persuading the children to tell the Head that "we" need a greenhouse!!  :)

Any paper left in sight would be binned   :lol: :lol:

I was just thinking of my office -- one way to clear that workload I suppose  ;) ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 15:30 »
5lights swiss chard will go great in pots and will be quite decorative too, also the herbs and pepper varietys sound good , dont forget there are also edible flowers that might be worth investigating into :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 19:24 »

Any paper left in sight would be binned   :lol: :lol:

I was just thinking of my office -- one way to clear that workload I suppose  ;) ;)

This is a seriously tidy HT!!
It certainly makes life easier - read it then bin it.... but mostly the constant flow of memos arrives by email.
What are week-ends for? Catch-up time  ::)

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 00:48 »
Calliope aubergine is good. It's a dwarf sized plant so not too big, the aubergines are about egg size and white and purple stripped - very funky!

The other thing that goes well in a pot is baby belle peppers. They come in various colours, taste like big belle peppers but you get over a dozen per plant. They ripen much quicker too, indoors we got three crops in last year. You could eat those fresh as a snack, unlike aubergine.

xx
Decorative veg?

Started by cc85 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 09:20
by dawninspain
xx
Any ideas for decorative, but edible, plants?

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 10:57
by king cauli
xx
What, when and how to net vegetables

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:17
by suziet88
xx
Vegetables so far

Started by weathergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 21:13
by Dan78

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 33 queries.